January 08, 2022

Surrender

 

Image by Gerd Altmann from Pixabay 

The word surrender has cropped up several times in various ways over this last week. I believe God is giving me a New Year’s resolution.

All of these popped up this morning. 





Surrendering to God’s will, regardless of the situation, is a challenge. After all, we would have to give up our perception of control, and that's not easy. 

A friend once told me she admired how well I handled my tragedies and losses. My reply, “I had no choice.” It was true. However, in these situations, rather than wallow in self-pity, I surrendered it all to God, and things worked out better than I imagined. But not at first. I still had to deal with the physical and emotional aspects of the circumstances. Only my faith, hope of a better future, eased the pain.   

Worrying won’t change the future. Either it will happen, or it won’t. And if it does, then God will help me through it, just as He as in the past.

In Our Daily Bread for, Bill Crowder quoted theologian Jürgen Moltmann’s definition of optimism and hope from A Theology of Hope. “Optimism is based on the circumstances of the moment, but hope is rooted in God’s faithfulness — regardless of our situation.”

So Lord, I surrender my life to Your will. I’ll let you handle it, even if it’s not in the way I want. You know what I need. I also commit my loved ones into Your hands. You know their needs as well. And Lord, I pray for all those facing difficult times. Be with them. Amen.

 









2 comments:

  1. Timely post. We are in the midst of selling our house and moving, and Dear Husband just said how worried he is. (Me, too. It's overwhelming!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow! Selling and moving is in the top ten of life stressors! My husband and I have sold three homes and bought four in the years we've been married, not to mention all the times we moved from town to town and state to state into rentals. Moving is downright ugly. Praying for a fast, easy sale, and uncomplicated packing and moving. God bless both of you.

      Delete

Any thoughts you would like to share? I love hearing from you!