January 20, 2022

Search and Rescue

Photo by José de Azpiazu @ Unsplash
God has rescued me so many times, I’ve lost count, and this last Monday was another. My doctor prescribed an antibiotic for an infection. Three days afterward, I woke at 11:30 pm with my arm itching. An inspection revealed a rash on both arms and my shoulders. Minutes after rousing my husband, I became dizzy, almost passing out, too weak to walk. It was difficult to talk. 

Twice in the past, my tongue has swollen when taking antibiotics, and with a 30-mile drive to the hospital, we called 911. Then, if my symptoms worsened, I’d have immediate assistance. Thankfully, I remained stable.

All my test results came back normal, blood work and EKG. After ruling out any other cause, the ER doctor treated my reaction with an IV concoction of medications and sent me home with a list of oral doses.

In a follow up with my regular practitioner, she told me it takes about two weeks for antibiotics to leave our system and so my symptoms could come and go for several more days. I’m not totally out of danger yet but the prednisone should speed my recovery, along with 65 oz of water and Benadryl four times a day, plus an antacid to reduce any reflux.  

This is the third adverse reaction to an antibiotic. All three were different meds with rare side effects, but each time I inadvertently minimized the affects. Hours before starting the antibiotics, my allergies flared up, and I took an antihistamine. I am sure God had a hand in that. Now, the idea of taking antibiotics makes me anxious, but I’ll keep Benadryl on hand and put my trust — and my life — in God’s hands.

Our Daily Bread devotion for Tuesday spoke about how God searches and rescues us from our difficulties — if we accept His help. He often does it through people, like my First Responders and the hospital staff, but I can be First Responder in other ways. I can pray, listen, care, and devote my time and any resources I have to help someone else.  

Has anyone’s compassion rescued you when you needed it most? Have you ever rescued someone else?

Dear Lord, thank you for being my Rescuer repeatedly. I will try to pay it forward. Amen.

2 comments:

  1. So glad you got sorted out! I'm sure it was frightening for both you and your husband. Once time in the summer my car broke down in heavy traffic, and I had my preschooler with me. Some long-haired, movie-star looking guy pushed my car into the next driveway which was into a church, and the driveway was UPHILL! I don't know how he did it! Then he disappeared somewhere in all those cars. Another driver stopped and gave us a new bottle of cool water while we were waiting for a tow truck. Remembering those kind people makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Priscilla. Your rescuer sounds like an angelic encounter! Gives me goosebumps, and then another one right behind him. God certainly did rescue you and your little one that day. Those acts of kindness remind me that there are still many good people in the world regardless of all the negativity plastered everywhere.

      Delete

Any thoughts you would like to share? I love hearing from you!