January 06, 2022

Aging

Image by anncapictures from Pixabay 

When I hit middle age, I vowed not to fight the aging process with cosmetics or surgery. I would accept the physical changes and move on. I did, however, keep lightening my hair until two years ago. With another birthday bringing me closer to 70, I decided it was time to let my hair return to its natural color.

To avoid the usual awkward grow-out, I asked my hairdresser to match my roots. She argued against it. The dark color would be too much of a change, but I insisted. She eventually agreed it was a good choice. After the initial shock, everyone liked the new/old color, even my husband. And the newer “platinum” highlights blended in well.  

Now, with my hair all natural, the next step was to update all my online profiles, but I procrastinated, unhappy with the new photos. Vanity? Maybe, but none of the pictures looked like the woman I saw in the mirror. Finally, I have a decent photo. I still wish I could lose more weight first, but at my age, that is a long, hard-fought battle. I’ve lost 10 pounds since November, but I still have more to go. However, in the meantime, I need to prepare friends had family who haven’t seen me in the last two years for the change in my appearance. (Hair color mostly). So, I sucked it up and changed all my profiles.

I am not ashamed of my age (now one birthday away from 70) and, for the most part, don’t dwell on the number. I’m thankful for that multitude of years. Too many never make it this far, and there is so much more life yet to live. More paintings to paint, books to write, people to meet, and adventures to experience.

Speaking of writing, this is my newest project, besides an almost finished oil painting of an old mill.  


Evie 

Evie Walsh is a member of The Gifted, an ancient race of supernatural beings humans have been led to believe are extinct. Evie’s gift allows her to watch events in exact detail as they are unfolding. She uses this ability to assist law enforcement with hostage rescue, finding the lost or missing, and many other dangerous situations — until her secret becomes too well known. Questions will be asked, putting her and all The Gifted in danger.

Only one organization offers her protection while utilizing her clairvoyance, but can they offer enough protection, and can she trust them? 



How about you? Is there one birthday that was harder to accept? Or does your age not bother you? Do you have new projects on the horizon? Do share! 

2 comments:

  1. You look FABULOUS! It's an excellent photo. Wow, your hair is dark. I'm in my 50s, and my hair is gray. Or silver. Yeah, let's go with silver. Or white.

    Age doesn't bother me except that I'm getting more invisible in groups. (That's not always a bad thing.) We have writers/creators like Herman Wouk who write at age 100 to inspire us about all that we can reach for while we're still on this earth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We can always say platinum blonde. ;) And your hair is beautiful! I know several women who are prematurely gray. I think the color is beautiful on younger faces. Kudos to you for staying natural.

    Still writing at age 100! That's impressive. May we be that fortunate! I want to be like him!

    ReplyDelete

Any thoughts you would like to share? I love hearing from you!