September 16, 2020

Reflections

Photo by Free-Photos from Pixabay

Several things have garnered my attention recently.

First, my son and daughter-in-law were evacuated from their home because of encroaching wildfires. We spent several anxious days waiting to hear if the house survived. Thank God, it did.

Thinking of their plight, I looked around my home. If I only had minutes to evacuate, what would I take with me? Clothes, old photos, important papers, and what else? We have some expensive art prints, my own paintings, and many collector’s items. We just purchased a new kitchen appliance, one I’ve wanted for a long time. It would be hard to leave it all behind.

My answer to this dilemma was in my devotions. The title in Good Morning, Lord by Joseph T. Sullivan: Can’t Live Without. “You can live without anything but God.”

Those simple words put everything into perspective.

My thoughts then fluttered to the violence occurring across our nation. I played out scenarios of what I would do or say to these hateful crowds. (If I dared.)

I wasn’t surprised when I opened my daily devotions in Living Faith. “How many times must I forgive my brother? Seventy times seven. Forgive, as you have been forgiven, free yourself from anguish.”

Rather than wishing revenge, what am I doing to help? Are my prayers enough? Should I become some sort of activist? But for which organization and where?

My morning devotions again told me the answer. The title in Our Daily Bread: Scaling. “Based on where you are, give generously.”

Don’t compare your giving to someone else’s. Give cheerfully where and how you can. Like rounding up my grocery tab to the nearest dollar and donating to the local food bank. Give a smaller amount to my church every Sunday rather than waiting to give a larger sum all at once. Help a neighbor without worrying about what they might do for me in return. Clean up after my husband without grumbling.

Most of all, I can pray for our country, my family, friends, and for those I disagree with. Not out of duty, but out of charity, love, hope, and faith.

“So faith, hope, love remain, these three, but the greatest of these is charity.” 1 Corinthians 12:31-13:13.

Thank you, Lord, for your guidance. You always know what I need at the exact moment I need it. Amen.

2 comments:

  1. Your words are a salve to my anxiety in these times. Thanks, Cecilia.:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God certainly eased my anxiety and I thought it was important to share. God bless you always, Priscilla. Hugs!

      Delete

Any thoughts you would like to share? I love hearing from you!