June 06, 2020

Conflicts, Disagreements, and Wisdom

A wise woman wishes to be no one’s enemy; a wise woman refuses to be anyone’s victim.”  Maya Angelou.

This quote resounded deeply with me this week.  A family member consistently posts hateful memes on social media.  Everyone has a right to their opinions and beliefs, and I respect that. However, “Your right to swing your fist ends where my nose begins.”

These memes were intended to inflict pain and incite hatred. I had enough and posted a rebuttal. I did not name the person, but pleaded for respect for others, myself included. I added the fact Martin Luther King and Gandhi changed the world without promoting violence and hate.  

I rarely have outbursts like that, and it shocked everyone, but it worked. The family member agreed it was time to end the hatred and post positive, uplifting things. Isn’t that really what social media is for? To be sociable? I truly believe there are other forums better suited for political debate. 

I have friends both liberal and conservative, non-Christian and Christian, non-white, gay and straight. It doesn’t matter as long as their fists don’t connect with anyone else’s nose, including mine. I don’t expect everyone to agree with me, just as I don’t agree with everyone either. That's okay. Diversity is part of God's design and we should celebrate it rather than disparage it. 

When do we turn the other cheek? When do we stand up for what we consider is right? I believe it depends on our motives. Are we standing up only for personal satisfaction, pushing our agenda on someone else, or do we see an injustice that needs to be addressed? Even so, the latter should not be done through violence to others and we have a right not to become victims.

Another quote helped put things into more perspective. “You can focus on the person who hurt you, or the God who healed you.” Christine Caine.

I stood up for what I felt was right, and now it’s time to forgive and let it go.

I pray for all who are hurting and suffering in this broken world. I pray they open their hearts and minds to God’s love and healing. I pray for an end to hate and violence in word and deed. Amen.  

2 comments:

Any thoughts you would like to share? I love hearing from you!