May 30, 2020

Never Dreamed...

Photo by Rafael Rafa at Pixabay
I never dreamed I'd live to see these times, physically distanced from friends, family, and so many others. No impulsive hugs, no dining out, no movies, no shopping or travel. How can I alleviate the isolation of others, offer kindnesses, or make any difference? Sure, there are always phone calls and conversations from several feet apart, but those seem so insignificant compared to what I would normally do. It is so easy to bury my head in a book, at home movie, or in my writing.

In Luke 21:34 Jesus warns us not to become too engrossed in the things of this world as to become complacent to the things of God. Yet, it is so easy to get caught up in the here and now and forget we still have options, still have a purpose in this life, but are the small things I'm doing all that important?

It is, if it is done in love.

God calls each of us to love others. Our acts might not be dramatic or earth changing, but we can still touch others - even through the isolation and distancing. We may never know whom, where, or how we may touch another's life, and it doesn’t matter. God knows.

St. Augustine states: “Love has a hand to help others. It has eyes to see misery and want. It has ears to hear the signs and sorrows of others. That’s what love looks like.”

Upon reflection, I remembered the intuitive remark at the right moment to ease another’s concern, the last minute phone call to a friend who had been on my mind all day, and the compliment given to a checkout clerk who rang up my groceries with exceptional cheer. 

I am usually unaware of the impact these simple acts have on those who receive them, and if sometime later I do hear how much they meant to the other person, I am amazed. 

And speaking of being amazed, the following quote from one of my devotions confirmed my thoughts and added one I had not considered an act of love. 

Feeding the Poor

Feeding both body and spirit — complimenting someone, listening, caring, writing stories that feed the heart and mind with God’s love.

Author Unknown

Wow.  I never thought my scribbles would be considered an act of love. Then, I shouldn't be surprised if God has His hand in it.  


2 comments:

  1. Oh yes, your "scribbles" are like heart felt pats on the back. When I read your posts, I can tell you think other people matter. It always feels good to visit your blog, and when I read And Then Came a Lion, it lifted my spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Priscilla. Your words lift my heart too! God Bless you and keep you safe!

    ReplyDelete

Any thoughts you would like to share? I love hearing from you!