November 14, 2018

Okay, I Admit It. God Knows More than Me.


The other morning, I woke with my usual exuberance and a laundry list of things I wanted to do. I made coffee and grabbed my computer rather than my devotions.

God had other ideas.

My laptop took longer than usual to boot. I did control, alt, delete and restarted it. The second start was even slower.

With no other choice, I picked up my devotions. Good Morning, Lord by Joseph T. Sullivan admonished me to “seek first the Kingdom of God.”

Ouch.

Coincidently, my computer finish booting at the same time I finished my readings and it has not been that slow since. (Eye roll.)

The next morning I spent the first fifteen minutes in quiet prayer and contemplation — and something amazing happened.

My blood pressure has been rising since my cancer diagnosis and surgeries, then add in my irritation over jury duty, and I have considered calling my doctor and requesting a change in my medication.

However, after my meditations, I took my blood pressure. Rather than a high reading, it dropped back to last year's numbers, 118/74. I shouldn’t be surprised, but I was.

Perhaps now, with the added physical proof, I’ll make more of an effort to follow St. Paul’s example, putting God before all things, and being contented with my circumstances, regardless of what they are, a series illness, surgeries, or petty aggravations. 

I'll let you know how it goes. 

How about you? How do you cope with stress? 

2 comments:

  1. I had to laugh at your blog post title. I find myself saying similar things!

    If I ignore stress, I get sick. If I address it, I feel better. I take walks, really LOOK at and feel the outdoors, and remind myself of God's creation. I also do Christian-themed meditations. Both tactics quiet my wildly running thoughts.

    Glad your blood pressure responded!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your methods of coping with stress are very similar to what I do too. Amazing how a few moments outside really observing God's creation calms the mind chatter. Meditations are great too. One of my favorites is the Serenity Prayer by Dr. Emmett Miller. It's a audio CD I can listen to at home or when driving. Now that you reminded me of it, I think I'll listen to it on the way to jury duty tomorrow. Thank you!

      Delete

Any thoughts you would like to share? I love hearing from you!