September 09, 2024

I Get It

 

Image by Enrique Meseguer from Pixabay


Back when I was working temp jobs, employment seemed precarious and fraught with tough decisions. One time in particular. A month had passed since I began my temporary position, and I was still training, but in two more months, the assignment would end. Then, I'd be back job hunting. My dilemma? Should I continue to look for a job and accept one if it was offered, or wait until my current position ended?


My family pointed out the company would not hesitate to make any adjustments necessary to ensure greater profits - at my expense. Shouldn't I consider my needs first? I was not under contract, and could leave with only the customary two-week notice. Sounded like a simple choice, except two weeks would not be enough to train a replacement. Would that be ethical? I oscillated between the desire to ensure my future employment and my conscience.

After praying about the situation, I realized I didn't have to decide. I could let God do it.

 

I realize that sounds pat and trite, but I meant it in a way far different from before. Wayne Jacobsen in his book, He Loves Me!, put it well. Will I pray "Save Me!" or Glorify Your Name!"? In other words, whose interest would best be served by my decision, mine or His?

When I reflected on my previous experiences, I could honestly say I was happier walking through the flames with Him than I was skipping through the Valley of Perpetual Sunshine alone. There was an emptiness in the valley I didn't experience in the flames.

In confirmation, a gentle voice reminded me I had yet to do without the basics for survival. During the last period between jobs, I received a paycheck every single week from one source or another. It wasn't always very much, but it took care of our most important needs. And this job, I didn't even apply for it. The agency called, and I agreed to the interview. When the job was offered, I was given a dollar an hour more than what the job originally posted for. Granted, it was not as much as I was earning in my last position, yet it was enough to keep most of the financial wolves at bay.

When I am honest with myself, I understand God will not allow me to glide through life like a spoiled child, getting everything I ask for. As a parent, I know that isn't healthy, and time and again, what looked like the worst possible outcome, turned out to be far better than I imagined.

St. Paul, always a good example of unerring faith, understood this basic principle. If God intended for something to happen, God would make it so. He knew God intended for him to go to Rome, and when the big storm hit, he had enough confidence in God's promises to comfort others. The ship was wrecked, but Paul made it to Rome. Granted, he didn't float in on a grand ship. He and his fellow passengers had to swim for shore, clinging to wreckage, but he got there and fulfilled God's purpose.

The same applies to my life. If God intends for me to stay on this earth a while longer, He will provide the means for me to do so. That means food, clothing and shelter. In the past, He has paid my car insurance and taxes, even paid off large debts, using some very unconventional methods, ways I would never have conceived likely or plausible. In every instance, after much struggle and worry, and after I finally relinquished my opinion on how He should resolve the issue, the solution came. Sometimes the benefit wasn't readily apparent. I still struggle to understand some of the outcomes. These I must relinquish to His will.

My conclusion: even if my path - His path - appears choked with thorns, I can trust He will show me the way through the brambles. He will even throw in a few roses, a sunny path, or two, and some restful water along the way.

And we know that to them that love God, all things work together unto good, to such as according to his purpose, are called to be his saints. Romans 8:28  I finally get it.


2 comments:

  1. "Save me" or "glorify Your Name"? Oh, that is SO good!

    "I understand God will not allow me to glide through life like a spoiled child, getting everything I ask for. As a parent, I know that isn't healthy." That is so good, too.

    Marie, you're just full of wisdom today! Thanks for sharing it.🩷

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As much as I'd like to take the credit, we both know who inspired the words. May He bless you, always.

      Delete

Any thoughts you would like to share? I love hearing from you!