August 28, 2024

Thinking About Martha

Image by AiArtista from Pixabay

My meditation from Our Daily Bread resonated with my current situation. “In what area of your life can you ask God to make you more like Jesus?”

My first thought, to give me more of a servant’s heart. Then I realized, being a servant is easier than sitting still.

Since my husband’s knee surgery, I expend a lot of time and energy to keep up our half acre of lawn, flowerbeds, household chores, shopping, and errands. Yes, I’ve organized and spread out my tasks to manageable sections, but if I fall behind, I am compelled to work doubly hard to catch up. This leaves little time to do much else, especially anything that requires sitting for long — like reading Scripture.

That overwhelming sense of duty reminded me of Martha. With guests in the house, she felt it was important to serve rather than sit idle at Jesus’ feet, like Mary. When she complained, Jesus pointed out it was more important to listen to Him than serve.

Ouch.

More than once, God has told me to make my morning devotions a priority. Yet, I slip into Martha mode so easily.

Jesus not only pointed out where our priorities should lay, He also gave us an example by often going off alone to pray. If He could find the time to slip away and pray, then surely I can too.

Jesus, teach me how to still my busy hands and mind long enough to sit at your feet. Amen. 

2 comments:

  1. I can relate. I just read about Martha and Mary yesterday, so Martha's been on my mind, too. I've been thinking I get stressed when I put my priorities in front of God's simple ones: to love Him with all I've got and to love others as myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a perfect analysis, Priscilla. Putting our priorities in front of God's. I'll remember that the next time my mind refuses to shut out the to do list when I open my devotions. God must come first, always.

      Delete

Any thoughts you would like to share? I love hearing from you!