January 27, 2022

Light and Shadow

Original Photo by author 

As an artist, I've always been fascinated by the play of light against shadow, especially in our little canyon. The light changes constantly, the most pronounced at sunset. Notice how the shadows make the light brighter. A bit like life, isn’t it? 

This last week and a half have been rough. My doctor said it would take two weeks for the antibiotic to leave my system, even with the help of the steroids and other medication, but I didn’t think I’d be ill for so long and wondered if I’d ever be well. 

As I have posted in the past, after my third husband passed away from brain cancer, my sister sent me a book of Maxwell Parish prints coupled with the words to the song, Somewhere Over the Rainbow. The beautiful pictures and words brought me a lot of comfort. God used this reference many times to offer me encouragement during difficult times. Either the song, or a literal rainbow, appeared during the darkest moments, reminding me of Jesus’ promise to never leave or abandon us. There is always light after the darkness. 

The first time this manifested, I was recovering from blood poisoning and waiting to hear whether the cause was an ongoing, permanent condition, or a one time incident. To break up the tension, my husband put in the movie, Meet Joe Black. The song Somewhere Over the Rainbow by Israel Kamakawiwoʻole plays during the credits. If you know the song, it intersperses the songs Somewhere Over the Rainbow and What a Wonderful World. My husband and I consider the latter our song, so having them sung together at that point in time… I knew my doctor would declare me healthy during my morning appointment. She did.   

A few nights ago, my husband chose the movie, Meet Joe Black, as our evening entertainment. I thought of the song, but that wasn’t the only message God sent. As the movie played, I noted something I had missed the other times we watched it. A single calla lily sat in a vase behind Joe Black, a.k.a. Death. Coincidence? 

“Consider the lilies, how they grow: they labor not, neither do they spin. But I say to you, not even Solomon in all his glory was clothed like one of these. Now if God clothe in this manner the grass that is today in the field, and tomorrow is cast into the oven; how much more you, O ye of little faith?” Luke 12:27-28. 

I had let ill health overshadow my faith. 

Not surprising, the next morning I turned a corner. The weakness and dizziness subsided. The nausea lessened and the headache and severe fatigue faded. While I write this, I am symptom free. 

Light and shadow. Joy and sorrow. Illness and health. Faith and doubt. 

Thank you, Lord, for sending beautiful images like the one above and other symbols of your promises, faithfulness, and love. Amen.

  🌈 Israel Kamakawiwo'ole ➖ 'Over The Rainbow' & 'What A Wonderful World' Medley ➖ 1993 🌈

 

 


2 comments:

  1. Isn't it wonderful that the lily was there the whole time, but THIS time when you needed it, you saw the lily?

    I am reminded that the word "chiaroscuro" showed up twice in the past two days, and then you spoke of light/dark faith/doubt. Maybe God is prompting me to look beyond this bit of stressful time. "Get some perspective, Priscilla.":-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to look up the word, chiaroscuro. That is another interesting coincidence. God winks, as one of my friends call them.

      Moving is hard, especially across states, not to mention the buying and selling of homes. It's all stressful. Trying to keep things in perspective, I often repeat to myself, "This too shall pass."

      Delete

Any thoughts you would like to share? I love hearing from you!