November 07, 2021

Flexibility


Image by kalhh from Pixabay 

I hate the time change. It messes with my body rhythm, not to mention the intrusion on schedules for children and pets. At least falling back is easier than springing forward, especially when I was working and had to get up at 4 am.

According to my husband’s research into the origin of DST, the time change started during WW I to conserve coal. Many outdoor enthusiasts embraced what seems like the extra hour of sunlight. I’ve argued this point many times. Physical daylight does not change because we mess with the clocks! But yes, setting the clock ahead does give you more after work daylight because of getting off an hour earlier.

I wish they’d just leave it on DST. Those who like it would be happy. Those of us who hate switching back and forth would do better. With only four months between the changes, why bother? Several states are lobbying to do away with the time change. I hope they succeed.

As all these thoughts paraded through my mind this morning, my reading in Good Morning, Lord, by Joseph Sullivan brought me up short. “I realize, of course, my best laid plans are useless unless they have your blessing. Help me, Lord, always to be flexible in my pursuit of your wishes. Not my will, but let yours be done. Amen.”

Was I being rigid, refusing change? Not just about the time change, but other things?

My readings continued with the same theme in my devotional, Living Faith.  1 Kings: 10-16. The widow fed Elias what she thought was the last of her oil and meal. She trusted God’s word through the prophet and was flexible enough in her faith to accept his promise she and her son would not starve if they shared their last bit of food.

The Gospel reading from Mark 12:38-44 continued with the theme of the widow casting in every cent she had for the temple tax. At first glance, it seemed Jesus was complimenting her on her sacrifice. He was, but he was also pointing out the temple scribes’ greed in demanding payment, even from the poor. Their rigid adherence to their law caused much suffering for the marginalized and eventually led to Jesus’ death on the cross.

My next reading, Psalm 146: 7, offered solace and encouragement. “[God]… keeps truth forever: who executes judgment for them that suffer wrong: who gives food to the hungry.”

That last poked a sore spot. Until we were forced to replace our old geothermal unit, we had no debt besides the house mortgage and a nice sum in our bank account. Not only did the new unit take all our  savings, we had to take out a small loan too. 

God reminded me: Lay not up to yourselves treasures on earth: where the rust, and moth consume, and where thieves break through and steal. But lay up to yourselves treasures in heaven: where neither the rust nor moth doth consume, and where thieves do not break through, nor steal. For where thy treasure is, there is thy heart also." Matthew 6:19-21. 

“Consider the lilies, how they grow: they labor not, neither do they spin. But I say to you, not even Solomon in all his glory was clothed like one of these. Now if God clothe in this manner the grass that is today in the field, and tomorrow is cast into the oven; how much more you, O ye of little faith?” Luke 12:27-28.

Chastised, I stopped grousing and worrying about the changes in our finances, in our country and in the world. God is there, preparing good things from bad, encouraging, comforting, and aiding. 

“Dear Lord, help me not to be so rigid in my faith that I fail to follow your will, help others or see your gifts when they take different forms than what I expect — or want. Amen.”  

 

 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post. It reminds me that God's perspective is different than our own.

    ReplyDelete

Any thoughts you would like to share? I love hearing from you!