October 31, 2021

It's Done!

 


Fantasy is much harder to write than my paranormal thrillers. Of course, it didn't help when I created seven lands with creatures, weather, cultures, topography, and people instead of settling on one. (I've always challenged myself, and this was certainly a challenge.) The world building was so complicated I actually used a spread sheet to keep it all straight! 


I have used spreadsheets for other books, but mostly to keep track of character names. This was much more complicated. I did find some wonderful resources to help.

Fantasy Map GeneratorHow to Create a Magic SystemEtymology Dictionary; and the one I used a lot: Fantasy Names and Description Generators

For the map, I used the generator and then manipulated the image in my photo software. 


I referred to this map often during writing. It helped keep me from straying too far from the natural topography. 

Now, I'm ready to start another fantasy. This time there is only one world/land to create. Should be an easy process after Plighted, right? Then, there's always the Writer's Curse. Ha ha

This is the blurb for the book: 

Plighted: to solemnly pledge one’s faith or loyalty; an unfortunate, difficult, or precarious situation.

 Ilona agreed to plight with the captain of the Garridin, but she did not agree to leave her beloved Immara in search of some fabled paradise. Beset with challenges and dangers the farther they travel from Immara’s border, the more she suspects The Assembly deceived her.

When she finally learns the truth, it shatters everything she understands about her Weoreld and her husband. Yet, she must forgive the lies and continue with the journey, or she condemns their Weoreld and everyone in it to cataclysmic and violent destruction.

One heart-rending sacrifice will save them.

Is she strong enough to make that choice?   


Available on Amazon in print and eBook. It is also in Kindle UnlimitedPlighted


If you are a writer, which is the hardest book you've ever written? For readers, what captivates you most about a genre or a particular story? 


4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on this new release! It's now on my TBR, and I will get to it soon. The hardest book I ever wrote was about bad guys and dogs, so there were dogs suffering in the book. Ugh, I made myself queasy. I like the blurb for Plighted, and the cover is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be a hard story to write. Do you have any published works? If so, share a link here. ☺️ Thank you for the kind comments about Plighted. I had fun creating the cover as well as writing the story. 😄

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so nice of you to ask. I have one story published so far. It's in an anthology published last year and is titled The Vampire Connoisseur: https://www.amazon.com/Todd-Sullivan-Presents-Vampire-Connoisseur-ebook/dp/B08QH3P951
    I've sold three more stories that'll be published in 2022.:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's wonderful! I'm going to check that out. Do let me know when the others become available. Happy Writing!

      Delete

Any thoughts you would like to share? I love hearing from you!