August 04, 2021

Too Heavy

Image by Pete Linforth from Pixabay 

These words were in the scripture quoted in my daily devotional, Living Faith. Moses cried to God for release. “I cannot carry all these people by myself, for they are too heavy for me.” Numbers 11:14.

The next statement by the author, Jennifer Christ, confirmed my stance to stay out of other people’s business unless there is a tangible way I can help. “We too often try to solve people’s problems, thinking we must order their lives and keep them happy.” But God told Moses, and us, “You don’t have to do this alone.”

In Streams in the Desert, a woman dreamed she walked in a long line of people carrying heavy sacks filled with many burdens. Dark creatures dropped heavier sacks beside each one, which she and the others dutifully picked up and slung across their already overburdened shoulders.

Jesus waited for her along the path. “Those burdens are not from me, but Satan.”

She dropped them and immediately felt lighter. For the cross He designed for her to bear was indeed much easier to carry than the burdens the devil had crafted.

One of the best ways to help the hurting is to sit with them. No words, no actions necessary. No need to fix their pain or suffering. Just be with them. Let them know we care by listening and praying. Both are powerful gifts. 

If God wills us to act, He will give us the nudge, the impulse, or the inspiration to volunteer, to donate, or offer our services.  

Dear Lord, thank you for these wise words. I pray I can keep them in my heart and not lose my conviction when faced with so much pain and suffering in the world. Help me discern when I should act, when I should listen, and remind me always to pray. Amen.

  

 

2 comments:

  1. I love this post. Wise words indeed. I'll be examining today the burdens I've been carrying around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How freeing to let go those we don't have to carry. Praying for your success in dumping the unwanted and unneeded burdens.

      Delete

Any thoughts you would like to share? I love hearing from you!