August 18, 2021

A Hard Lesson

 

Image by James Chan from Pixabay 

I’ve read the parable of the generous employer in Matthew 20:1-16 several times. I empathize with the men who grumbled about the unfairness of being paid the same for working all day compared to laborers who worked only one hour.

In trying to understand Jesus’ point about God’s generosity, I equated it to the Good Thief. He repented only hours before his death and gained a place in heaven with Jesus, the same as those of us who have been practicing our faith longer. Rather than jealousy, I rejoice in knowing God will give me the same compassion.

However, Paul Pennick stated in Living Faith, Jesus had something else in mind with this parable. “This is a lesson on coveting someone else’s good fortune.”

I don’t begrudge financial aid to the disabled, the unemployed, or the ill. They are unable to work. But it still galls me that those who are able, have the opportunity, and still refuse to work receive the same benefits as those who work long, hard hours.

The fact the last laborers lingered in the marketplace at such a late hour only because no one had hired them, mollifies my sense of fairness, somewhat.   

With that in mind, I need to remember God sees into our hearts and gives us what we need according to His wisdom, not ours. If He blesses someone with what I think is more than they deserve, who am I to question His generosity? I certainly haven't earned all the blessings He's given me. 

Dear Lord, help me rejoice in another’s good fortune, even if it seems unfair. Amen.  

2 comments:

  1. I certainly haven't earned all the blessings God has given me, either! Today's post is good food for thought, Cecilia.

    ReplyDelete

Any thoughts you would like to share? I love hearing from you!