July 26, 2021

The Privilege of Reclining

Image by Free-Photos from Pixabay 

In Living Faith by Melanie Rigney, the author explained Jesus’ request for the multitudes to recline before he fed them the loaves and fish was significant. First, only free people reclined while they ate, not servants or slaves. Second, it was close to the Passover. Surely some individuals in the crowd noted the implication.

Also, Jesus performed his miracle after the men stopped milling about. An indication we too might find a closer relationship with God if we tried reclining/resting for a few moments in prayer and meditation each day. The practice would lessen our stress, renew our energy, and perhaps even revitalized our faith and hope.

This past week, a yellow jacket stung me while I was helping my husband remove several nests from our back patio. Nasty stings. It takes 48 hours for the poison to peak and 5 to 10 days for it to work out of your system. Because of the location of the sting, typing was not comfortable, forcing me to limit my time at the computer. Up till then, I had been pushing myself to finish the edits on my newest novel. Was this God’s way of reminding me to slow down? Maybe, especially after a friend noted the shape of my reaction to the sting. 

Now, I don’t believe it was God’s will that I was stung. He used that opportunity to remind me not to become so caught up in tasks, I forget it is a privilege to recline, to rest from constant activity.  Especially when I often suffer from amnesia.

 Thank you, Lord, for loving me enough to discipline me when needed, to guide me back to the right path, and to offer assurance I am still loved even though I’ve strayed. Amen.

 

 

2 comments:

  1. Yikes, a yellow jacket, I'm scared of them! I'm so sorry to hear you got stung, but how fascinating that the sting is a heart. I write a Bible quote at the top of my calendar each week, and this week's is "I commend the enjoyment of life." Sometimes I have to remind myself to recline and chill.

    A new novel? How exciting! I'll read it for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. New novel is a fantasy. Not sure that's in your genre preferences. But sweet of you to offer.

    Yes, it is good to be scared of those critters. They are nasty.

    I love your bible quote. I forget to just enjoy life too - without feeling guilty!

    ReplyDelete

Any thoughts you would like to share? I love hearing from you!