May 21, 2021

Running Ahead

Photo by Taryn Elliott from Pexels


 “In what circumstances have you ‘run ahead of God?’” The question in my devotion, Our Daily Bread, gave me pause. What does it mean to “run ahead of God, and if I’ve done it, when?”

Running ahead of God probably means to take matters into my own hands rather than wait for God’s answer. In that light, let me count the ways.

I’d rather believe I’m patient, waiting until I am certain I am following God’s will before I act, but if I’m honest, I have to say not as much as I should. There are many times I moved forward in haste, fixing things in the way I saw fit, only to find out my way turned into an even bigger disaster. I try to blame all the messes I create on my alter ego, Blondie, but I realize where the blame lies. In fact, that’s where self-control comes in, restraining my impulses to “run ahead” before I’ve considered all the potential outcomes.

As I’ve aged and dealt with more disasters and circumstances beyond my control, I’ve learned to hold back a little more. True, much of my restraint is more from being overwhelmed than patient, but that counts. Recognizing I’m in over my head is a step in the right direction. Now, to pair that with the humility to wait for God’s answer and accepting the fact He sometimes uses suffering as a benefit. Scripture and common sense tell me to pray, meditate, and seek wise counsel, but that takes time when I’d rather just jump in and do something, especially if a loved one is suffering. That must be exactly what the author in the devotion meant as “running ahead of God”.

When I reflect on all the difficult moments of my life, there were clear signals indicating what I should do, act or stand still, as long as I set my pride and impatience aside. Perhaps those two things cause most of my confusion. I’ll have to work on that.

Dear Lord, help me stay close to you, power walking beside you rather than running ahead with impatience — and right into trouble. Amen.

4 comments:

  1. Praying for you and myself. Same issue here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we are all susceptible to this tendency. Thank you. Praying for you too!

      Delete
  2. I feel myself running ahead of God when I think I know what's best for me instead of trusting God's path for me.

    ReplyDelete

Any thoughts you would like to share? I love hearing from you!