March 02, 2021

The Friendship Lamp

 

Photo by Jill Wellington@Pixabay

I read about an interesting device, the Friendship Lamp. These have evidently been out a while, but I just discovered them through a meditation in Our Daily Bread.

(See video: Friendship Lamps)

On initial impulse, I thought this was a great idea. I’d love for each of my kids to have one. I could let them know, unobtrusively, every time I thought of them. But when I researched the lamps, I found out they are very expensive. Most pairs retail for $90 to $200. That’s more than I can spend when a phone call or a text will work just as well.  

However, I admit the visual of the light is appealing, like leaving the light on for someone to come home or a candle in the window. Who doesn’t light up when a friend calls, texts, or stops by for a visit?

This reminded me of a coffee mug a friend gave me years ago. This letter is written across the front.

I am writing to say how much I care for you. I want you to know me better. When you woke this morning, I exploded a brilliant sunrise through your window, hoping to get your attention. But you didn’t even notice. Later, you were walking with friends, I bathed you in warm sunshine and perfumed the air with flowers. Still, you didn’t notice me. So, I shouted to you in a thunderstorm, and painted a beautiful rainbow. You didn’t even look! Tonight, I spilled moonlight on your face and sent a cool breeze to refresh you. As you slept, I watched over you and shared your thoughts, but you were unaware of my presence. I hope you will talk to me soon. When you’re ready, I will be near. I love you very much.

Your Friend,

Jesus

I wonder if after a while, the lamps would be just as unnoticeable. Perhaps the best light is the light inside of us, our faith, which Jesus told us not to hide, but to place in a window for all to see. That light is our acts of kindness and compassion.

Dear Lord, thank you for being my friend. In return, mold my thoughts, my actions, and my words to reflect You. Amen.

 


2 comments:

  1. Yes, I think the lights would become unnoticeable after awhile. It's a fun little idea, though. What a sweet love letter mug from Jesus (and your friend).

    ReplyDelete

Any thoughts you would like to share? I love hearing from you!