February 19, 2021

A New Thing


As I mention in an earlier post, I am often tempted to recount the dramatic and amazing things God had done for me in the past, the dreams, premonitions, and visions. Those powerful events have tapered off, replaced by more subtle interactions. I’ve wondered why.

Our Daily Bread meditation for March 13 gave me some insight into the change.

God wants us to recall the former, but He doesn’t want it overshadowing his current involvement in our lives. “See, I am doing a new thing. Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a new way in the wilderness.” Isaiah 43:19.

My faith is stronger, deeper, and God no longer needs to orchestrate the theatrical to get my attention or bolster my beliefs.

The same can be said of prior pleasures, mistakes, or pain, remembered on occasion, but not relived. 

Today is a new day. God is doing new things.

Dear Lord, thank you for your divine intercessions, the subtle and the not so subtle. They draw me closer to you. Amen.

2 comments:

  1. Whoa, I was just journaling on this yesterday! I recently read a book about the aging brain (called Successful Aging, it's a fascinating book written by a neuroscientist), and one of the points the author made was reminiscing doesn't help keep your brain healthy, but looking forward to things does. Hope you have a good weekend, Cecilia!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a coincidence that we were both thinking along the same lines. The book sounds interesting, something my sister, an experimental psycologist, would love. Yes, I can see the value of looking forward rather than behind. Hope you have a wonderful weekend too, Priscilla, and thanks for commenting. I always enjoy your insights. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete

Any thoughts you would like to share? I love hearing from you!