November 02, 2020

A Category Five Storm

 

For several months, I had the odd feeling something was looming on the horizon, something big enough to upset my husband's and my idyllic life. I reorganized my priorities, spending more time appreciating everything in my life, especially our home and the company of my husband. I did not let a single opportunity pass by to tell him how much I loved him, to give him a hug, or hold his hand.

Then, the storm hit.

Two weeks ago, my husband was diagnosed with Covid-19 pneumonia and taken by ambulance from his doctor’s office to the hospital, . He’s 76 with some underlying health issues, not the best scenario for recovery.

As I watched the ambulance pull away, I wondered if I’d ever see him again? Would I be a widow for the third time?

I prayed, “I trust in you, Lord. Your will be done.”

Still, I collapsed into sobs when I got home, falling prey to worry, anxiety, and fear.

The next morning, I received a notification on my phone for a video from The God Minute. That has never happened since I got my android phone in June.

I took the title literally, “All will be well.” 

When I looked at the date of the video, my skin tingled. It originally recorded on the 19th , but I didn’t receive the notification until the 22nd, the day after my husband was admitted to the hospital.

He never went on a respirator. His symptoms plateaued within five days, faster than his doctors expected. He spent only nine days in the hospital, coming home last Thursday, relatively symptom free. He’s still on supplemental oxygen, but only 1 liter, the smallest setting. His doctor doesn’t think he will need that for very long.

I am so thankful God is so merciful, compassionate, and good, and I am trying not to feel guilty that He spared my husband’s life when He didn’t so many others.

As if answer to this, the next morning during my devotions, my bible fell open to the Book of Tobias, the scripture God used to promise me I’d grow old with this husband.

Oh, Lord, I do believe, but help my unbelief when I am weak. As St. Paul said, it is through our weakness God’s makes us strong. Amen.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad your husband is recovering! I'm even gladder for the heavenly messages you received. That's one of my favorite Bible verses. (I say it alot!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. He's continuing to improve. That scripture is now among my favorites too. Another one that popped up that I forgot to include:"Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; ... for the Lord your God will be with you. Do not be afraid." Joshua 1:9

    ReplyDelete

Any thoughts you would like to share? I love hearing from you!