November 08, 2020

Remember…

 

Remember how the Lord your God led you all the way. Deuteronomy 8:2.

My morning’s devotions listed a passsage from the Book of Wisdom, reminding me of how many times God has answered my questions, guided me, and sometimes chastised me. In that instance, He used the Book of Wisdom to express his opinion of my desire for extra money during a financial crisis.

After eighteen years of employment, my second husband’s company laid everyone off. Unemployment and my part-time job were not enough to provide for our needs and financial obligations. The wolves were circling and looked as though they would get in and destroy everything we had worked for. 

I thought about the lottery.  I didn’t desire, or dream of millions, just a few thousand, or several hundred, just enough I wouldn’t worry about buying groceries, clothing, gas, or other necessities.

As I headed out of the house, intending to hit the market and buy a ticket, I passed my Bible still laying on the dining table from my morning devotions. A compulsion led me to open it and read the first Scripture it opened to — the Book of Wisdom.  The words seemed to lift from the page.

 Pray for wisdom as if it were money.

 This passage followed the first: And if riches be desired in life, what is richer than wisdom, which maketh all things? Wisdom 8:5.

I didn't buy a lottery ticket that day, but I still thought about it from time to time, and God sent me a dream.

The details were precise, clear, as if watching a video. My husband and headed across the parking lot of our local grocery store. The wind picked up, blowing debris around. A small piece of paper slapped the side of my face. It was a lottery ticket for that evening’s drawing. I clutched the paper, convinced it was the winner

With that thought, everything went black. 
When I opened my eyes, I was lying flat on my back on the tarmac.  

I looked at my husband. “What happened?”

“You were struck by lightning.”

My precious lottery ticket! I opened my hand. Only black ash remained.

Winning the lottery was not God’s plan for my life. He wants me to trust Him, not wealth. I may hear wolves sniffing at the door from time to time, but they will not get in, or if they do, they won’t destroy everything.  God has, and will, continue to provide enough for my basic existence (and often more) for as long as I walk this earth. There lies my wealth, far richer than anything the world can provide, and it seems He is not averse to reminding me, frequently, of that fact and the many other lessons He has taught me.

We've always had enough food, clothing, gas and most other necessities. Sometimes the money came in unexpected, miraculous ways as I’ve recounted in other posts such as The Miracle Turkey and Insurance. 


Dear Lord, thank You for your loving compassion and provision, and even for the reminders and lessons You send. Amen.

2 comments:

  1. This is such a cool string of events, made me feel all goose pimply. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Any thoughts you would like to share? I love hearing from you!