March 20, 2020

As Yourself


Original photo by the author 
On my last venture out for necessities, people pushed passed me with one, and sometimes two, overflowing carts. Empty shelves forced me to adjust my list to the barest needs. A few of my fellow shoppers were friendly. Others glared or wouldn’t look at me at all. It was easy to determine who my physical neighbors were, and who had come from out of the area. A fact an employee in our local Costco revealed. People were driving two hours or more to other areas to bypass the one-per- customer limit on high demand products.

I overheard one woman tell a friend, “I’m only buying what I need.” Her friend replied. “Not me, I’m buying more than I need.”

Shocked and angry, I glared at a woman in the parking lot with two carts overflowing with paper products. She even had the audacity to display a Christian symbol on the back of her car.

Other Christians proclaimed they would attend services regardless of the recommendation to keep all gatherings to less than ten. Never mind the health risk to themselves and others. God would protect them.

Where was the love for our neighbor?

In answer to this, I saw news reports about Angel Shoppers, college students shopping for the elderly. Another story told about police officers offering to go through drive-up windows and purchase food for truck drivers. I even heard of people donating hand sanitizers and toilet paper to those who had none.

Mrs. Rodgers was right. In a time of crisis, look for the helpers. They are always there, quietly helping others, living out their Christian faith.

In the words of St. Paul, “Put on, as the elect of God, holy, and beloved, the bowels of mercy, benignity, humility, modesty, patience. Bearing with one another, if any have a complaint against another: even as the Lord hath forgiven you, so do you also. But above all things have charity, which is the bond of perfection: And let the peace of Christ rejoice in your hearts, wherein also you are called in one body; and be thankful.” Colossians 3: 12-15.

I may not be hoarding, but my thoughts were not charitable toward others. What if the woman with the fish symbol on her car wasn’t hoarding but buying for the homebound?

After the chastisement came the encouragement.

As my son and I were talking about the radical changes in our lives, and how some changes may persist long after this crisis, a rainbow appeared outside my front window. No sun visible anywhere among the dark clouds, but still it shone, reminding me of God’s love, compassion, and promises.

A friend posted Psalm 27:14 on a social media site. “Expect the Lord, do manfully, and let thy heart take courage, and wait thou for the Lord.” Those simple words have carried me through many, many dark nights.

Another passage which offers encouragement during these uncertain times: “Consider the lilies…” Luke 12: 27. No amount of worry will change anything. If God can fill twelve baskets from a few fishes and loaves of bread, He can stretch half empty wallets and shelves too.  (See my post, Lillies, as an example of one of His miracles.)

My devotion, Good Morning, Lord, reminded me to become like a child, confident in God’s love, regardless of my circumstances.


Lord, thank you for your rainbows and lilies and give me faith to trust you in all things. Amen.

4 comments:

  1. Our grocery store is doing a splendid job keeping stocked. I'm thankful. I love the way you reframed the thought about the woman in the parking lot with extra stuff who may have been buying for others. Take care, be well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad your area is doing better with keeping things stocking. You are blessed! You stay well too!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful reminder, Marie. I love this. We aren't hoarders, but we're usually pretty well stocked, for which I'm thankful. Other than the occasional something-or-other, we don't have to go to the store--although Billy did brave it for TP yesterday. Not that we're out, but that we don't want to run out, then not be able to get more. That woman with the two baskets of paper goods isn't the only one. Some are being selfish; some are helping those who are homebound or whatever. Either way, it means for bare shelves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bare shelves are hard to face when you need things. My husband has never been one to plan ahead. I try to some extent, thank goodness, and we are set for about a week and a half before we will need to venture out for a few things like milk, bread, eggs, and butter. From what I can see, those are hard to come by, but maybe by the time I need them, they'll be stocked. When I look at the bare shelves, I picture lilies and rainbows. That chases away the anxiety. Be well and safe, my friend. <3

    ReplyDelete

Any thoughts you would like to share? I love hearing from you!