May 29, 2019

Like a Sunrise


Image by Jonas Fehre from Pixabay
Against my better judgment, I watched the movie, Julie and Julia. It is a good story with a happy ending, but it always makes me cry. Julie Powell’s writing career took off in just one year — from writing a blog! People were almost breaking down her door to sign her to a writing contract, and they even made a movie from her book.

It makes me feel inferior.  

However, this time I didn’t wallow very long in self-pity. A dear friend shared an interview with Hugh Howey, an Indie phenomenon whose book, Wool, took off and sold millions.

He said, “One of the worst things that can happen to you is for your first book to be a runaway success.”

Wow.

The article explained it is better for an author to have a backlist of five or ten books before writing the coveted best seller. Readers can go back and buy everything else the author wrote, reducing the stress on writing the next novel.

Hugh also said, “I told myself that everything I published would be available for thousands of years, so success and appreciation didn’t have to occur in my lifetime. That gave me hope.”

Thank you, Hugh, that gives me hope too, and flows right in with my devotion in, Living Faith. Deborah Meister wrote:  “Nothing stands in the way of God’s mercy and love except our own stubbornness to resist change, to cling to our guilt or grief, or anger [or jealousy, fear, doubts, and impatience]. Right in front of our eyes, like every sunrise, God is making all things new. (Revelation 21:5)”

That includes my writing as well as my faith.

2 comments:

  1. Didn't Meryl Streep do an amazing job portraying Julia Child? Her scenes were the best part of the movie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! They are the best part of the movie and are why I watch the movie in the first place. I read an article about the making of the movie. It stated that Meryl was so into her roll that she actually blushed during the Valentine scene, for real.

      Delete

Any thoughts you would like to share? I love hearing from you!