June 03, 2018

The Broken Record


Our minds are wired to repeat the same messages, usually negative ones, like the cliched broken record. 

When I retired, I was sure that little things would not bother me. After all the years of stress over a job, life would be easier. However, thanks to that broken record with its tired old messages, the small stuff takes on more importance.

How can I circumvent this repetition? Richard Rohr suggests contemplative prayer. His books and devotional studies supply step-by-step models. (See: Center for Action and Contemplation). He stresses the need to be open-minded, non-judgmental, accepting people and circumstances for what they are.

In other words, what is, is. I can’t change anything or anyone with my will alone no matter how much I fret, wring my hands, or pray desperate Please-God-Change-Them Prayer. God can, but that is up to Him.

If I let God pick my battles, I’ll always be on the right side, expending my energies for creativity, like writing and art.

With prayer and practice, I can turn off the tired old songs, or at least interrupt them for longer periods. Better yet, I can put on a different record, like The Serenity Prayer.

Switching records now.

God grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change;
Courage to change the things I can;
And wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
As it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
If I surrender to His Will;
So that I may be reasonably happy in this life
And supremely happy with Him
Forever and ever in the next.
Amen

2 comments:

  1. This was a lovely reminder, thanks. I admit I do have trouble accepting people and circumstances for what they are.

    Oh dear, the comment section is acting up on my end. I can't see at all what I'm typing or what I ahve typed. So you will see my comment with all its glorious typos!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Any thoughts you would like to share? I love hearing from you!