April 09, 2018

Eight Weeks — New Challenges and Blessings


In my last post I talked about priorities and how mine changed after surgery. Comfort has been at the top of that list, and now that I have healed from the surgery, my surgeon has given me the green light to begin normal activities. Not as easy as it sounds.

Most of the discomfort at this stage of recuperation is from tightened and shortened muscles. Unused muscles are painful. Trust me on that one.

The American Cancer Website for mastectomy patients has a list of exercises to regain flexibility, specialized exercises designed to help regain a full range of motion and prevent permanent muscle damage. I can't say I was looking forward to moving that much. I have to, and I will, but at this stage showering and dressing are still painful activities.

However, an article I read recently gave me additional motivation. A study found a link between the lack of muscle mass and high body fat with a higher risk of death in breast cancer survivors. That announcement gives me increased motivation to exercise. The article said good muscle tone is even more important than BMI (Body Mass Index).

At my age, loss of muscle and increased fat deposits are an issue anyway. Coupled with eight weeks of limited activity, I am facing difficult challenges. However, as we know, all journeys begin with the first small step, then another and another. First, regain my flexibility, add in resistance training with weights, make healthy dietary changes (restrict sugar and carbs, add in more lean protein, fruit, and vegetables), and get some heart pumping aerobics, walking and/or the stair stepper.

To my surprise, my comfort level soared after the first set of stretches and continues to increase with each session. Add in our beautiful spring weather, and I am now looking forward to the increased activity.

I am not overwhelmed with this new set of challenges. Besides the physical benefits from the exercises and diet, I am richly blessed with God’s abundant love and compassion displayed through the support of my doctors, my husband, my family, and friends.

A few days ago, He even sent a rainbow.

Yes, I am blessed, far more than I deserve.

2 comments:

  1. I love your upbeat attitude. I think it'll make your recovery even faster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and yes being positive helps not only my recovery, but I am sure my family appreciates it too. ;)

      Delete

Any thoughts you would like to share? I love hearing from you!