April 22, 2012

And Then Came a Lion

There have been a lot of references to lions in my devotions, once again. The most thought provoking was from 1 Samuel 17:34: And then came a lion.  When King David was just a boy tending his father's sheep, he fought off many wild animals, including a lion. David saw them as opportunities to trust God and either moved forward to meet the challenge or stood his ground, ready to defend, unlike myself. I am more inclined to run for the closest tree, even though I know it is useless. (I've seen pictures of lions in trees.)  


At this moment a major disaster is crouching, waiting for the opportunity to strike. My temp job is shaky. I do not have any form of health care, retirement benefits, or life insurance. I know it is useless to worry over something that might happen, and yet, my mind creates a myriad of what if scenarios. If I would only reflect back, I could recall numerous financial disasters diverted at the last moment, health issues mysteriously evaporating in spite of the doctors' prognosis, and more. Oh, so much more. But, my mind lists toward the negative rather than the positive and it takes a great deal of effort to reign in those scary images.


However, right now, at this exact moment, there are no disasters or crises, and I need to focus on that, ignoring what might be on the horizon. Storms (and lions) can change direction, or go away, never coming close. And, when the storm does strike (sometimes at the same time the lion charges) I need to remember God never changes. His promises never change, and He will give me the courage, the strength and the wisdom to find shelter in the storm, face my lion and defeat him.  For you, O Lord, singularly have settled me in hope. Psalm 4: 10

6 comments:

  1. I needed this...we don't have health insurance, nor life insurance, nor any retirement...and we still have two children at home, and there are days I see the lion chasing me and I am getting eaten...what little faith I have, because He has been faithful in the past and will be faithful in the future

    My I see the lion as an opportunity to see God

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why is trust such a hard thing to achieve, yet fear is always in abundance? Since Adelaide's birth, I find that I have to trust the Lord even more, for I constantly worry about her life, her future, and how to keep it from any harm. But, in the end, her life is not in my hands, but in hands far more capable than mine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know, Janette, it is hard living without these necessities. There is nothing else to do but hang onto our faith and His promises.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jolina, it is true we lean toward fear rather than trust. And, yes your daughter is ultimately in His hands. We are only capable of doing just so much toward their care, and then must, as you said, leave the rest to Him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have had numerous experiences of totally, I mean TOTALLY surrendering my will to God; and you know what Cecilia? When I had no job, no income, no food, no insurance, I simply surrendered; not give up..just surrender your authority of your life over to He that is greater than any one of us, and He will provide through prayer...He will provide. Do what you can, but humbly surrender.

    Once I did, a huge career change came into my life that gave me steady work, great pay, insurance...all I could have ask for, though, I didn't. I simply surrendered to His Will.

    Please, know you are in our thoughts and in our hearts and God will bless you, I know.

    Keep believing and have faith.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, John, I know total surrender is the only recourse. He knows exactly what we need. He has and will provide, always. god bless you and Judith too.

    ReplyDelete

Any thoughts you would like to share? I love hearing from you!