April 20, 2018

The Simple Things


Unless something, like a surgery, upsets our daily routine, we don’t realize how many things we take for granted, like reaching for a shelf above our heads, bending down to pick something up from the floor, or pushing a grocery cart.

Exercise has improved my mobility, but the expander complicates some movements. It’s rigid and I can feel it move against my chest muscle despite the sutures stabilizing it. This is not painful per se, but not comfortable either.

The good news, the prosthetic will replace it in about two months. (Two more saline fills and a six month wait period before that surgery.) The implant will allow a more natural movement, but it will never be the same as biological tissue. I still prefer it to a flat space and a large scar.


Even if movement isn’t always comfortable, there are many who would trade places, restricted movement better than none. Something I need to remember whenever I’m frustrated. It could be so much worse.


I often think of St. Paul and the sufferings he encountered. He remained hopeful and cheerful despite appalling circumstances.


“None of these things move me.” Acts 20:24.


Someday, I hope I can say the same.

2 comments:

  1. It must feel not only restricting but a bit alien, too. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it does. However, after a stint out in the yard yesterday, I am amazed at how much better my muscles feel. Even the muscle under the expander feels better! Who knew yardwork would make me feel this good?

      Delete

Any thoughts you would like to share? I love hearing from you!