August 29, 2023

Tranquility

Image by Henryk Niestrój from Pixabay


Although I love summer, I’m tiring of the extra yardwork, and I’m ready for the change of seasons and a lessoning of the chores. Not surprising, God addressed my need for rest.  

Our pastor’s sermons are on The Lord’s Prayer. Last Sunday was “Give us this day our daily bread.” There’s much debate about whether that is physical or spiritual food. I think both, at least for me personally. Pastor also quoted Matthew 6:27-30: “And which of you by taking thought can add to his stature by one cubit? And for raiment, why are you solicitous? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they labor not, neither do they spin. But I say to you, that not even Solomon in all his glory was arrayed as one of these. And if the grass of the field, which is today, and tomorrow is cast into the oven, God doth so clothe: how much more you, O ye of little faith?”

I smiled. I even wore my gold and pearl calla lily earrings that morning.

The coincidences continued. My from Good Morning, Lord, by Joseph T. Sullivan also mentioned the lilies of the field. Our Daily Bread quoted Matthew 11:28-30: “Come to me, all you that labor, and are burdened, and I will refresh you. Take up my yoke upon you, and learn of me, because I am meek, and humble of heart: and you shall find rest to your souls. For my yoke is sweet and my burden light.”

Our Daily Bread also quoted Numbers 11, Moses’ lament to God of the heavy burdened he carried. God heard his cry and sent him helpers.

I understood God was promising me the same. He would give me the strength I needed to carry out my tasks or send me help. He did both.

By making slight changes, like not taking a one and a half-mile walk before I weed the flower beds, and by limiting other tasks I do on those days, I haven’t been as tired. Same with the housework. On days with the bigger chores, I limit other tasks. 

My husband has an injured shoulder and residual effects from Covid, which limits how much he can do, but he refuses to let me carry all the burden of maintaining our home. He has stepped up and taken on tasks he knows he can handle. These may seem small to some, but they lifted a good portion of my burden.

Things may change again as we both age, but I’m not worried. God will ease my burdens. I have his promise, and as if to emphasize that, once again, rainbows are appearing — reminders that God keeps his promises.

Dear Lord, thank you for not only the physical rest but also the tranquility of knowing you will take care of all my needs. I love you. Amen.


2 comments:

  1. This past week I've seen lots of "rest" verses, woven into Christian fiction, too, not just straight from Bible study. And in a couple of YouTube videos, of all things. It has reminded me I don't need to feel guilty for resting. I am so happy for you that you are finding rest and that Jesus is sharing His sweet and light yoke.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's amazing, but not surprising, that God is assuring you it's okay to rest through non-scripture references. It's obviously a common tendency to work until we're exhausted and beyond. We are blessed to have a compassionate God to look after us.

      Delete

Any thoughts you would like to share? I love hearing from you!