September 13, 2023

Patience

Image by Hans from Pixabay

This last May, I had an allergic reaction to an unknown allergen. A bright red rash covered my back and part of my torso. My doctor prescribed Benadryl and a cortisone cream to stem the itching and the burning. The symptoms eased, and the rash faded, but never went away.

Last week, I had another flair up. This one sent me to the ER with a rash covering my entire body, from my face to my toes. The ER physician prescribed Prednisone and antihistamines and referred me to an allergist. That appointment is several weeks away. In the meantime, I'm dealing with the reaction to both the allergen and the medications. 

The rash and discomfort have eased, but not the side effects of the Prednisone. My vision is blurred. I have occasional headaches, and worse is the fatigue. The pharmacist cautioned me these can last several days to a week or more after I’ve completed my prescribed doses. Sometimes I wonder which is worse, the cure or the disease. Well, that’s not entirely true. Without treatment, an allergic reaction can be fatal, whereas the side effects of the drugs are temporary.

Still, I’ve had to scale back on chores as well as painting and writing, which is frustrating. I want to be doing things, not dealing with health issues. 

God, of course, has his opinion on the matter.

This morning, I opened my Bible and noticed this note: “With God, a patient wait often leads to a happy ending.”

Below that, “The hardest part of waiting for a miracle is hanging on for the last half hour.”

I’ve come a long way in the trust department, but patience is a bit more of a struggle.

Dear Lord, I trust you to either heal me or give me strength to endure. I ask for patience and grace, two things I too often lack. Amen.

5 comments:

  1. First, sending prayers for you and your husband. Sometimes life seems overwhelming. Second, that's a beautiful song and definitely a wonderful prayer. Thank you for sharing. I've saved it so can refer back to it whenever I feel overwhelmed. God bless you, always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That just does not sound fun. I pray you heal sooner than expected. I had a l-o-n-g day with my mother yesterday. I was amazed at the patience I had. There was no way we could have accomplished all that we did, say, 5 years ago because I didn't have the patience. God has transformed my brain/heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your prayers, Priscilla. Patience is a hard virtue to master. It sounds like God is perfecting it in you through caring for your mother. May God continue to grant you extraordinary strength, courage, and patience to fulfill this role. I'm sure he has many rewards planned for you, his faithful servant. God bless you, always.

      Delete
  3. Doctor came today, Jim had cracked a rib so on pain killers for now. My CT Scan showed nothing nasty, no Stroke or TIA so that is good. Back to drawing board, blood tests and possibly visits to a Balance Clinic, having to walk with a stick now to keep me upright. May God Bless you too and heal you. Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the update, Jackie. Cracked ribs are no fun. Prayers for it to heal quickly. Good news as far as what you don't have, but not so good as to not knowing what is causing your issues. Praying for you too that the doctors can uncover the problem and that it is curable. God bless.

    ReplyDelete

Any thoughts you would like to share? I love hearing from you!