October 31, 2022

A Sign?

 

Image by Gerd Altmann from Pixabay 

In August of this year, Pastor Andy retired, and the pastoral committee brought in Pastor Jon. In the first weeks Pastor Jon requested a meeting with each member. He wanted to hear our faith testimonies and ask how he might serve us.

I was baptized at a very young age, which Pastor Andy accepted when I joined the church. Pastor Jon, however, encourages me to be baptized again as an adult.

I am reticent because I have a phobia about standing in front of crowds. Funny, I can bare my soul in my writing but can’t stand in front of my congregation.  

After hearing my testimony of faith, all the signs and wonders God has given me, Pastor Jon said, “I know God will tell you His opinion on the matter, when He does, come talk to me.”

As I’ve posted before, I’ve been sick and out of town for several weeks. Last Sunday was the first time I’ve attended church services for three weeks. Halfway through the service, the automatic curtains covering the baptismal pool partially opened, paused, and closed.

Our praise team leader commented, “Interesting. Those opened of their own accord. Does someone out in our congregation need to be baptized?”

I tried not to react. I didn’t want Pastor Jon to get any ideas just yet. Yes, I know God will give me the strength and courage I need to fulfill His will, whatever it is, but I’m still hesitant.

If it was God’s sign, He won’t let up. He’ll keep sending messages, nagging until I give in.

Dear Lord, I want to do your will. Give me the wisdom, the strength, and the courage to follow You wherever you lead. Amen.

 


6 comments:

  1. It's a difficult topic. One pastor in the church was okay with your early baptism. Another pastor in the same church isn't. Seems like a human-thing rather than a God thing. But I totally get it if the church is of a denomination that teaches adult baptism; in that case Pastor Jon is simply following the rules. But why would a child of God who's had VISIONS FROM HEAVEN need an adult baptism on top of her infant baptism?
    It makes my head spin! I wonder if God cares as much about the age of the person getting baptized as we humans do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Priscilla, you stated my quandary eloquent! Yes, Pastor Jon believes in full immersion baptism of individuals old enough to understand and choose. He has not mentioned again since our initial discussion, leaving it totally up to me. So no pressure. However, I had to laugh when the baptismal curtains opened of their own accord. How like God to do something like that. As you know, He has played practical jokes on me before. I am saved through my faith in Jesus, so a baptism would only be for a public demonstration of my faith. However, it may very well be for someone else's benefit. I can think of one. My neighbor's teenaged grandson is thinking about baptism. I wonder if I offered to do it with him if he would take the plunge? Interesting thought. I'll sit on it for on the decision for a while. God will certainly let me know what He wants me to do. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts! God bless you, always.

      Delete
  2. If it keeps coming into your mind and your heart starts thumping... He did that to me some years ago, a lady I did not know and who lived in the next village lost her 16-year-old son, killed in a road accident. He put it on my heart to go visit her and it scared me as I didn't know what I could say, or how she might react, but He kept prodding. I went, knocked on her door, and nearly walked away as she was slow answering. Then the door opened and when I told her why I was there she threw her arms around me and sobbed. She asked me into her house, and we talked for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Jackie, that's a beautiful story! I've done things very similar. God prods (nags) me about a lot of things, besides giving me dreams and visions. I've learned long ago to listen! Sounds like you have too! Thank you for coming by and commenting!

      Delete
    2. Yes, He prods and nags, He spoke to me in a very loud voice once at the end of a dream, I will have to tell you about it one day.

      Delete

Any thoughts you would like to share? I love hearing from you!