May 14, 2022

Abiding in Love

Image by Pexels from Pixabay 

As I was making coffee this morning, two different roasts, I reflected on how much my husband’s tastes have changed over the course of our marriage. When we first met, we preferred almost everything the same. Now, we are almost opposites. While mine remained mostly unchanged, his narrowed.

I still prefer mild roast coffee. He now wants medium. We once liked the same half and half creamer. He wants sweet cream. I prefer, and for dietary reasons, more chicken and fish. He wants almost nothing but beef.

His doctor blames the natural course of aging and COVID on the change. Unless it has a strong flavor or seasoning, he can’t taste it.

Figuring out a menu we could both enjoy (and eat) was a challenge at first, but after some thought, I found a solution. For example, when I make our favorite recipe for minestrone soup, instead of adding the meat with the principal ingredients, I cook those separate. We each dish the soup and then add our meat preference. For other meals, we fix two different meats and serve them with the same side dishes.

Even though the compromises mean a little more work, he’s worth it. Our love for each other has only deepened over the years, despite the changes in preferences.

We pepper our day with hugs, kisses, and sweet words. We hold hands while watching movies. When a romantic song plays in a movie or on our playlist, he pulls me into his arms and dances with me around the living room. We cuddle on the porch swing and watch the sunset. I’ll make his coffee. He’ll make mine. He’ll cook his beef while I cook my chicken.

We abide in our love in a similar way to what Jesus told the Apostles, “If you keep my commandments, you shall abide in my love; as I also have kept my Father’s commandments and do abide in his love.”

God commanded, “Wherefore a man shall leave father and mother and shall cleave to his wife: and they shall be two in one flesh.” Genisis 2:24, and “Nevertheless let every one of you in particular love his wife as himself: and let the wife fear [respect] her husband.” Ephesians 5:33. 

Charity begins in the home, so does love.

Thank you, Lord, for giving me a wonderful man to be my companion. Help me to always adjust to changes with a mind toward solutions rather than bemoan the differences. Amen. 

4 comments:

  1. This is SUCH a sweet post. It put a smile on my face.:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you, Priscilla. I'm glad I could give you something to smile about and I pray you have many other reasons to smile today. I hope you are finally getting settled in your new state/town. God bless!

      Delete
  2. Thank you, Marie. I needed this today. You always know how to encourage me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad if my experiences help in anyway. The big reason I share them. I know I'm not alone in any of these struggles and triumphs. God bless you.

      Delete

Any thoughts you would like to share? I love hearing from you!