December 04, 2021

A Season of Hope

Original Photo by Cecilia Marie Pulliam

These frosty, misty mornings of December fit the season, a tradition for Christmas in the Northern Hemisphere. Who doesn’t love Norman Rockwell’s renderings of Christmas? Images of family harmony, joy, peace, family gatherings, ladened tables, laughter, softly falling snow?

My family represented this vision for years until my husband passed away. His death fractured our family. We pulled away from those big, happy gatherings. My daughter was only sixteen. I tried for her sake to continue some of our traditions, changed slightly so they would not be reminders of what we had lost. My success was mixed, but the overall tone was a happy one.

After she left home, following her brothers with leaving the nest right after high school graduation, I followed new traditions.

Now, married again, with family strung around several cities and states, we have other traditions. We still decorate, although on a much smaller scale, but I cannot pass the season without a nativity, lighted garlands, and a small lighted tree, tabletop size, Christmas Carols and a fire in the fireplace. I’ll make my raspberry rolls to enjoy with coffee Christmas morning. Christmas Eve, instead of the boisterous family gathering at my folks’ place followed by Midnight Mass, my husband and I will join our neighbors for prime rib and good conversation.

The thread that runs through all of these traditions is the season’s message of hope. Everywhere we see joy and hope. The scripture readings are filled with hope of a peaceful, joyous world. The carols echo the same sentiments, peace on earth, joy to the world. We watch family favorite, happy Christmas movies.

The season is such a joyous one, even for those who do not celebrate the spiritual aspect. It is the time of year we give ourselves permission to be happy, and we pass that on to those around us. The salutations of Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays when we meet friends or strangers. We approach family gatherings with hope for peaceful, joyous interactions.

Then, in January, it seems this hope crashes back to pre-Advent attitudes, rushed, irritated, crushed by responsibilities and world issues.

Several years ago, I vowed to keep my Christmas hope and joy all year. For the most part, I did. Even during the dark moments, I clung to my hope of God’s presence, compassion, and care. Psalm 27 pops up in my devotions whenever I need the reminder that nothing is impossible with God. I only need to hang onto my faith until the sun rises again.

“The Lord is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear? The Lord is the protector of my life: of whom shall I be afraid? I believe to see the good things of the Lord in the land of the living. Expect the Lord, do manfully, and let thy heart take courage, and wait for the Lord.”

How about you? Have your Christmas traditions changed over the years, or stayed the same? 

2 comments:

  1. Raspberry rolls? Oh wow, that sounds delicious! Our Christmasses have become smaller, more romantic. The only traditions that haven't changed is we have lasagna instead of turkey or ham, and we open one gift on Christmas Eve in case the Grinch comes.:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that description, "smaller, more romantic". That's a great way to describe an intimate celebration with your spouse. My husband would love lasagna on Christmas Eve and prime rib on Christmas Day. I've never made lasagna. The recipe sounds daunting. Haha! Yes, beware of the Grinch!

      The raspberry rolls are made with sweet roll dough. Instead of cinnamon sugar, you spread the dough with softened butter and then spread it with a raspberry pie filling. Everyone loves them (unless you don't like raspberries) ;)

      Delete

Any thoughts you would like to share? I love hearing from you!