April 07, 2021

Serenity Amid Turmoil

 

Photo by urformat @ Pixabay
My oncologist said the chances of my breast cancer returning were very slim, only 2%, but I still get nervous when it’s time for a new scan, and I’ve been dreading tomorrow’s appointment. As usual, mydeovtions offered encouragement. 

My devotional, Good Morning, Lord by Joseph T. Sullivan, expounded the virtues of waking to gentler sounds, birdsong, the gurgle of a creek, the lapping of waves on a lake shore, or even ocean waves. Many of us wake instead to the din of mechanical sounds, diesel trucks, blaring car stereos, motorcycles with loud mufflers — good illustrations of how our minds work. Peaceful, resting in God’s promises, or noisy with many outside worries and concerns.

The imagery reminded me of a painting contest. The artists were tasked with painting their perception of peace. Some chose sunrises or sunsets over a quiet lake or ocean. Others painted meadows bursting with wildflowers. One artist took a different view. He painted a songbird sitting on a nest dangling over a raging torrent. Serenity amid life’s torrents and turmoil, trusting in Our Maker to care for us. I imagine he envisioned the scripture about the sparrows. How fitting.  

It is also fitting that Acts 3:1-10 is listed among my scripture readings. It describes St. Peter healing the lame man in front of the temple gate. Healing. Thanks to my nurses, doctors, and surgeons, I am a breast cancer survivor. God was there with me every step of the way. Will He not be with me through whatever happens tomorrow?

Will all my anxiety vanish? No. Even Jesus wept the night before His passion. However, I will stand on the promise God gave me when I met my husband, that we’d grow old together in health.

There have been a few bumps and challenges in the road, a few detours, a few scars, but we pulled through. Tomorrow will be no different.

So, chin up, visualize rainbows and God’s blessings rather than what might or might not happen.

“I believe to see the good things of the Lord in the land of the living. Expect the Lord, do manfully, and let thy heart take courage, and wait thou for the Lord.” Psalm 27:13-14.

 

4 comments:

  1. I wish you many rainbows on your way to and from your appointment, and I'm praying for a good-news scan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm the same as you. Little chance of the cancer returning, but there's always that niggling worry when I go in for my mammogram. Praying for God's strength and comfort for you today. You'll have a great day with great results!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda. I was sure other cancer survivors have the same struggle. Thank you for the prayers. Hope you have a wonderful day too, regardless of all of your current struggles. You are in my daily prayers too. God bless!

      Delete

Any thoughts you would like to share? I love hearing from you!