May 23, 2020

What Is That?

Time for a little reminiscing and a few giggles. This was originally posted in April 2013. 


 I must admit I have created some rather memorable recipes when too tired to think, like the time I used cinnamon instead of chili powder in the taco meat.  I can’t describe how that smelled. Even the dog wouldn’t eat it.

Do you know baking soda foams when substituted for cornstarch in sauces? It looks something akin to Mt. Vesuvius the second it hits the pan, and it not only removes odors from the refrigerator, it also neutralizes all flavors.  I am not sure how to describe what it tasted like, but it certainly wasn’t Oriental Pepper Steak, and no, I didn’t bother to offer any to the dog.   

When I accidentally substituted the baking powder with baking soda in the tempura batter, it didn’t foam, but to this day, my husband swears the shrimp bit back.  

This wouldn't be a complete list without mentioning Pork Chips, or Biscuit Cookies, or is that biscuits that look like cookies? Those were not my invention. They belong to my inventive sister-in-law. I'm more famous for Blackened Garlic Bread. 

I have rearranged my kitchen since these repeated disasters. My cooking spices are in a cabinet across the kitchen from the baking spices. No more confusing cinnamon for chili powder or baking powder for cornstarch. However, I seem to find other just as interesting cooking adventures. 

How about you? Do you have any cooking disasters you'd like to share? Or are you one of those cooks who never seems to mess up a dish? If so, you have my respect and admiration. 




2 comments:

  1. That's so funny about the baking soda substitution for cornstarch. I've done the accidental cinnamon substitution for chili powder (blech). We have an emergency pizza-delivery fund for when we make cooking mistakes. We don't have to use it very often, but about every six months or so we end up having Domino's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad to hear I'm not the only one guilty of the chili powder and cinnamon mix up. I wish we could have pizza delivery. We live too far out of town, but there's always the option of grilled cheese as a back up. Thankfully, it's been a long time since the last cooking fiasco. (My husband is now very diligent when he notices my blood sugar has dropped. ;) ) Here's to experiments and back up plans!

    ReplyDelete

Any thoughts you would like to share? I love hearing from you!