December 23, 2019

The Day I Said, “Yes.”

Photo by Alexas Fotos from Pixabay

Last Sunday my pastor asked the congregation, “When did you dedicate your life to Christ?”

His question brought back a memory I hadn’t thought about in years, the day my nine-year-old self gave my life to God, in the most literal sense.

It was early spring with a vivid blue sky, newly budded trees, crocus and daffodils in bloom, and robins singing. My mother allowed me to walk to school alone for the first time and I was so happy I even skipped and danced for several blocks. At about halfway, I paused to catch my breath.

A voice asked, “Marie, do you want to come to heaven and see Galen?”

My brother, Galen, passed away from S.I.D.S. when he was only three months old. I was only a year and a half but for months afterward whenever we went shopping I’d disappear. After a frantic search, my mother would find me climbing the staircase looking for heaven so I could be with Galen.

So, when God asked me if I wanted to go to heaven I didn’t hesitate to answer, “Yes.”

“Do you know what it means to come to heaven?”

“Yes. I have to die first.”

In that instant, I understood I'd be hit by a car and killed before I reached school. Excited, I searched each intersection for the car that would send me to heaven.

It was a great disappointment when I reached school unharmed. As I reached for the door, I heard God say, “This was only a test.”

As children are so capable of doing, I accepted that and pushed the incident to the back of my mind, telling no one about the experience until years later.

Although I did not get to be with my brother that day, my life changed dramatically. God became an integral part of my daily life, blessing me with his constant presence in the form of audible (to me) conversations, visions, dreams, and divinely orchestrated coincidences.

He is truly Wonderful Comforter, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

When did you dedicate your life to God?


4 comments:

  1. Friday night, 9 o'clock, July 25, 1975. I was 10. I was happy about it, but (being young) I didn't expect others' reactions. They were happy for me, and their reaction made me all teary-eyed.

    That's awfully sweet about you as a young child trying to climb stairs to heaven, but your poor mom. I'm sure she was frantic!

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazing how you remember the exact date and time but that makes sense since that moment changed your life forever.

      I am sure my reaction also deepened my mother's sorrow as well as kept her in a frantic state looking for me. Bless her heart.

      Merry Christmas to you too!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. You're welcome.We all love sharing stories. God bless

      Delete

Any thoughts you would like to share? I love hearing from you!