December 02, 2016

Pollyanna Had It Right



Neuropsychologists recently confirmed an optimistic viewpoint leads to a healthier and happier life. The Psalms have said the same thing for centuries. 

One of the most well known, Psalm 27: “The Lord is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear? The Lord is the protector of my life, of whom shall I be afraid? I believe to see the good things of the Lord in the land of the living. Expect the Lord, do manfully, and let thy heart take courage, and wait for the Lord.” Verses 1, 13-14.

It’s a choice. If we believe, then we’ll see. Before performing a miracle, Jesus asked if the recipient believed in his ability to grant their request. Faith is as much a choice as optimism. 

If we look for hate, we’ll find it. If we look for good, we’ll find that too. That doesn’t mean we won’t encounter the bad regardless of our mindset. God has guaranteed we will see trouble in this world, yet he still asks that we look beyond it. 

I have had my share of trouble, like everyone else. However, God stepped in during the blackest moments with promises and encouragement. Psalm 27 is one of many that lifted my eyes from my personal tragedies toward the good that still existed. It might be a beautiful sunrise or sunset, a smile from a friend, a child’s giggle, or a hug when we need one the most. It may also be a personal scripture promising we will see the good things of the Lord in the land of the living. It’s our choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any thoughts you would like to share? I love hearing from you!