May 13, 2012

Oh Ye of Little Faith


In last week's post I mentioned finally figuring out why I worry. For the most part I have managed to let go of that vice, and as a resslt, I spend more time in the now, trading the desire to be in some future or past moment, for this moment.

And God blessed my new attitude while sitting at a stop light.

I grew up eastern Oregon amid wide open desert expanses. Wildlife was (and still is) abundant near my home. Every morning during spring and summer, a Meadowlark's song accompanied my coffee and devotions. Over time I equated its song with God's Word - a sign of His gifts and blesssings. After moving from my home state several years ago, I have not heard the Meadowlark sing. Other birds seranade my devotions, and have a beautiful song, but they aren't the same.

The warmer tempetatures this last week caused my parked car to heat up considerably by the time  I left work.  To ease the discomfort until the airconditioning kicked in, I rolled the windows down and headed home.

While sitting at the light, instead of impatiently tapping the steering wheel and willing the darned thing to change, I looked, really looked, at my surroundings: blue sky, mountains, open fields, trees in full folliage, and even a gurgling creek running through emerald green grasses - right beside the road. I soaked it in.

It was then it happened - the sweet trill I had not heard for so many years - a Meadowlark burst into song, sang the entire time I waited for the light, continued as I turned the corner, fading away only after going halfway to the next light.

Listening to that precious melody brought this scripture to mind:

Behold the birds of the air, for they neither sow, nor do they reap, nor gather into barns: and your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are not you of much more value than they?  And which of you by taking thought, can add to his stature one cubit? And for rainment why are solicitous? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they labor not, neither do they spin. But I say to you that noe even Solomon in all his glory was arrayed as one of these. And if the grass of the field, which is to day and tomorrow is cast into the oven, God does clothe, how much more you, O ye of little faith? Matthew 6:26 - 30

*****

For those who have not had the privilege of hearing a Meadowlark sing:


15 comments:

  1. Cecilia, it looks and sounds as if you have been blessed! The Meadow Lark's sound is beautiful...I am happy you recieved that opportunity to witness the present moment. Please, don't worry anymore because when you stop, you will see more of God's beauty in all He created. I used to be a worrier, always consumed by something, till my faith AND trust became a reality. Let your worries go sister, let them go. They hurt you more than they help. Peacefully, let them go. Be blessed Cecilia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John, I have stopped worrying, that was the blessing confirmed by God's beautiful sign. As I posted last week, I've figured out why I felt I needed to worry, and now know that burden is not required in order to be loving. Trust wasn't the issue. Now, I am basking in the knowledge that I can just BE. Thank you for you encouraging words, John.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful reminder of His faithfulness...His encouraging words, that came through the song of a bird...one of his creations!

    I love these moments, it makes God so personal...and He is!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Janette. That was my thought. He reveals Himself through the ordinary, yet extraordinary things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Meadowlark is one of my favorites too. I once read a devotion that said the birds sing praises every morning, and again at the close of every day. Then the devotion asked, "should we do any less?"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing this blessing, Cecilia! It's a good reminder to notice God's beautiful creation around us and the extraordinary moments in each day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet blessing! Don't you those little things of love given by the Father? More blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, Lorna, I have read that too. And we should praise Him, always. We can choose what we see, you know, the proverbial glass half empty or half full. Do we see blessings or only trials? I'm working on focusing on the blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, Lynn, these blessings keep us moving, keep us motivated, lift us above the trials and tears. At least they do me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can I say Amen Sister!! Your post was beautiful and touched my heart. I am constantly seeing the Lord's blessings and his presence. My favorite thing to do is sit outside, close my eyes and listen. I listen for the songs of joy-the bring glory to God and my heart is lifted in praise. No matter where I am, I find comfort listening to the birds sing. By the way the Lark's song pierces my heart deeply, as does the dove cry. peace and Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I share your love of birds, Terrie. I too love to hear the dove, and the blackbird, and the robin and, and. They do enrich our lives. Wonderful gifts from a loving God.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I share your love of birds, Terrie. I too love to hear the dove, and the blackbird, and the robin and, and. They do enrich our lives. Wonderful gifts from a loving God.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lots of helpful information. I have bookmarked your site.
    HTTP://www.CoolMobilePhone.net

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous, I am glad you found something useful. Thank you for taking the time to stop in and comment. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete

Any thoughts you would like to share? I love hearing from you!