December 14, 2023

The Christmas Candle

Image by congerdesign from Pixabay

In the movie, The Christmas Candle, 19th century English villagers hold the belief whoever lights the candle touched by an angel will be granted a miracle on Christmas Eve.

As the villagers scramble to obtain the candle, I wondered if I had the candle, would I give it to someone who needed a miracle more? I like to think I would. But would I?

Two of my favorite scriptures came to mind.  

“Consider the lilies, how they grow: they labor not, neither do they spin. But I say to you, not even Solomon in all his glory was clothed like one of these. Now if God clothe in this manner the grass that is today in the field, and tomorrow is cast into the oven; how much more you, O ye of little faith? And seek not you what you shall eat, or what you shall drink: and be not lifted up on high. For all these things do the nations of the world seek. But your Father knows that you have need of these things.” Luke 12:27-32

 “The Lord is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear? The Lord is the protector of my life: of whom shall I be afraid? I believe to see the good things of the Lord in the land of the living. Expect the Lord, do manfully, and let thy heart take courage, and wait thou for the Lord.” Psalm 27: 1, 13-14

The answer to my question? I would. For I have no need for candles - or lotteries. I have an all-powerful Father who takes care of all my needs. I can afford to be generous to others.

The most generous gift of all?

“For God so loved the world, as to give his only begotten Son; that whosoever believeth in him, may not perish, but may have life everlasting.” John 3:16

Amen.

 

 

 

 

  

4 comments:

  1. I'm not sure I'd want the candle. I'm likely to ask for the wrong miracle, not foreseeing the danger. Of course, that's true with the things we pray for, too. I believe God sometimes says no simply because He knows it's actually NOT what we want/need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right. Another good point. What will be the result of our request? Not always what we expect. Thank goodness God knows what we need rather than what we want.

      Delete

Any thoughts you would like to share? I love hearing from you!