December 07, 2019

Permission to Be Happy

Photo by Stefan Nyffenegger at Pixabay

This time of year, people are happier than any other season. We see it everywhere in small kindnesses, cheerful greetings, and happy faces, except perhaps Black Friday. Yes, I’ve heard the horror stories, but more than any other time of year we have hope of good things to come.

For God to right all wrongs.

For our families will be healed and brought closer together.

For an end to violence and hatred.

For all of us to share in God’s abundance.

We’ve all been in those dark places where there seemed to be no hope. Then, a scripture passage, the kind word of a stranger, or the prayers of family and friends gave us hope of a better tomorrow. We only needed to hang on a little longer.  

Psalm 27 was among my morning devotions.

“The Lord is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear? The Lord is the protector of my life: of whom shall I be afraid? I believe to see the good things of the Lord in the land of the living. Expect the Lord, do manfully, and let thy heart take courage, and wait thou for the Lord.”
Psalm 27: 1-2, 13-14

That passage has brought me through many dark hours.

I once read a meme about the proverbial half empty or half full glass. I liked the author’s take. It didn’t matter whether it was half full or half empty because the glass can be refilled. 

And so can our hearts.

Thank you, Lord, for giving us the gift of your Son and the hope his presence brings. Amen.

2 comments:

  1. The glass can be refilled . . . how insightful. I love that take on the old half full glass thing.

    ReplyDelete

Any thoughts you would like to share? I love hearing from you!