October 05, 2014

Divine Orchestration

 Image courtesy of [nuttakit] at FreeDigitalPhotos.net 
They say, never borrow trouble from tomorrow, today has more than enough. I believe that, yet sometimes the prospect of things in the not-so-distant future can add to today’s burdens, regardless of my efforts not to add to my bank account of worry.

One of these issues is writing. It’s a tough business. Writing is hard work and then not everyone will like what I write. I am fortunate not to have any negative reviews of my first book – yet.  I know it isn’t perfect, but could I go back and improve it? Of course. Should I? I don’t know. 

One reader suggested it could be more powerful if I revised it. But, is it good enough as it stands? As Kristen Lamb said, “You will never write the perfect book.” All I can think to do is pray for discernment on whether to revisit that work now, or after I launch my next book, or just let it lie.

Another issue is actually this blog. The day job keeps me away from home eleven hours a day, and doesn't leave much time for anything, let alone writing or spending quality time with my husband. A few of my followers contacted me recently. They comment how much they looked forward to my posts – and miss them. After some reflection, I realized I missed writing them.

These are my meditations on divine subjects, among other things, and are often a reiteration of His encouragement and promises. I haven’t been spending as much time with Him as I should. Yet, how do I balance this with writing novels? As I have stated in Lions, Why I Write, I need to write. But, how?


And then, there is my delayed retirement. I am eligible for retirement sooner than our finances will allow. This is a concern as my husband is nine years older and has been retired for several years. I see our time together slipping away.

God responded to my prayers. First, He sent me lions. I received and e-mail devotion from Pastor Greg Laurie, the very same I mention in my story about why I write. I am behind in my on line devotions and didn't read this until this week. Divine timing? A link  if you care to read the post. Peace Among Lions

And then, He settled my time dilemma. In one of those strange epiphanies we sometimes get when we finally step out of the way and let go of our preconceived ideas, I discovered a better time management strategy. 

Mornings are for devotions, meditation, and my blog. Lunch time is for reading and walks. Evenings are for spending some quality time with my husband, an hour writing, and an hour looking over e-mails and some social sites. It's not perfect, or exactly what I would prefer, but it is workable. 

Then, He spoke through a kind soul regarding my book. Judith C. Evans posted this:  Book Review: And Then Came a Lion. I may someday revisit this story, but I think I will leave it stand for the moment.

As for my concerns over retirement and my husband’s and my health, Psalm 27: 7-9, 13-14 was listed in my devotions.

Hear O Lord, my voice, with which I have cried to thee: have mercy on me and hear me. My heart hath said to thee: My face hath sought thee: thy face, O Lord, will I still seek. Turn not away thy face from me; decline not in thy wrath from thy servant. Be thou my helper, forsake me not; do not thou despise me, O God my savior.I believe to see the good things of the Lord in the land of the living.
Expect the Lord, do manfully, and let thy heart take courage, and wait thou for the Lord.

This was encouragement enough, but God went a step further. My husband and I debated between three different movies for our Friday night movie, finally choosing one we hadn't watched in several years. The clincher was the closing scene where the guy gets the girl, and the girl gets the guy. An unfamiliar artist belted out Somewhere Over the Rainbow. As I have mentioned before, the song has heralded miracles in the past. 

It isn't that any of these things are miraculous in and of themselves. It’s the timing, the divine orchestration that turns a whisper into a thunderous roar (pun intended) of encouragement.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any thoughts you would like to share? I love hearing from you!