May 27, 2011

Don't Cry For Me, Argentina


Iguazu Falls, Argentina
Don’t Cry for Me, Argentina played softly in the background. It seemed like every time I turned on the radio the song was playing. It must have been a warning I didn't pay close enough attention to. I took a deep breath, swallowed my initial response to my husband's announcement and replied with a lot less emotion than I felt. 

Argentina? It’s only been a year since we moved to Arizona.”

“I know, but I’ve been doing some research, and a lot of retirees are moving out of the country for economic reasons. Countries, like Argentina, are less expensive to live in than the US, and right now the peso is running three to one – US dollars. We would have three times the income down there.”

“But, what about the government, the cultural differences, the language?”

“Sweetheart, they have a very stable government, the country is breathtaking and the people are very friendly. I know because Joan’s mother just retired there and she is living very well on only her Social Security. Not only is it a beautiful place to live, and inexpensive, but enough people speak English she hasn’t had any trouble communicating with the locals.”

“I don’t know. I haven’t gotten to go back home to visit my family since we moved here, and it’s only twelve hundred miles away. Argentina will be much farther.”

“Yes, but we’ll be saving so much money we’ll be able to do a lot more traveling. We could use Argentina as a spring-board to Europe, Africa - and back home.”

“I don’t know.”

“Well, let’s just explore it, okay?”

I agreed to look into the possibility of relocating, praying fervently that God didn’t really intend for me to leave home, family and country.

After a sleepless night, I slipped out of bed before daybreak, made coffee, and went directly to my reading room.  I desperately needed the assurance and guidance I always found in my devotions. That morning the Gospel reading was from Genesis 12: 1: And the Lord said to Abram: Go forth out of your country, and from your kindred, and out of your father's house, and come into the land which I shall show you.

No. Oh, please no. I didn’t want to be like Abraham. I did not want to leave my country, all of my possessions, and especially my family. How could I leave my kids? Granted they were all grown, but my grandbabies? How could I leave them?

Bill, completely oblivious to my anxiety (helped along with the brave act I was putting on), enthusiastically made the necessary inquires about life as an expatriate. When it came time to actually solidify plans, I dropped to my knees and indulged in some shameful begging.  

In answer, my devotions included Matthew 19:29:  And every one that hath left house, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands for my name's sake, shall receive a hundredfold, and shall possess life everlasting.

I thought my heart would break.

That night I had a dream. I was in a long hallway lined with locked doors. It ended abruptly, the floor falling away into open space - a star-filled expanse stretching away into infinity.

Rather than being afraid, confident God would bear me up and not let me fall, I raised my arms and leapt.

With the dream’s message fortifying my spirit, I set my face toward Argentina.

Less than one month before our scheduled departure, our vet announced our fifteen year old Brittany spaniel was unfit for air travel. The seventeen and a half hour flight, with lay-overs, would kill him. Undaunted, my husband checked into a cruise ship. Many have kennels and allow guests to bring their pets. It was July, winter in Argentina, and there were no cruises.

We then had a problem. We couldn’t leave Rusty, nor could we bear to put him down, the lease on the house was expired, and we had reserved storage units and movers.  Our solution? We bought a large RV and set out on a five month travelling adventure. I had been snatched out of the fire and delivered right into heaven.

It was then I understood Argentina was my test, just as the sacrifice of Isaac was Abraham’s test. God is to be placed above everything - and He means everything. He has priority above country, family, children, grandchildren and especially self.

Now, whenever I hear the song, Don’t Cry for Me, Argentina, I think of Abraham and Isaac, of relinquishing my will to His. Oddly the song seems to be playing a lot on the radio these days…..

10 comments:

  1. This is how I felt when this Oklahoma girl was told we were moving to Kentucky:) I cried over just going there, but then God reminded me of something I said to my husband in our wedding vows. . .from the book of Ruth. . ."Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay." It was then I said, Ok...let's pack!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Kristin, I agree. Along with that scripture, we also vowed to love and obey. Sometimes that last word is a hard one to follow, but as long as we keep trying. I am sure God gave you back ten fold what you gave up through obedience. Thank you for stopping in and commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for posting, I found out Tuesday we have to move, not a move I want at all...and this just touched straight to my heart. I do know that many times I have taken my Issac to the altar for God to exchange it for a sacrifice lamb, but I still had to be willing to put it on the altar.

    Blessings...an awesome post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Janette, He wants absolutely obediance without the hope of last minute reprieve. I am sorry you have an unplanned, unwanted move looming over you. I pray that either you do receive the sacrifical lamb or that something unimaginably wonderful is the result of your move. May God always bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ceci, the more I read about you, the more I realize how special you are and how full a life you have experienced...and still experiencing! Loved this post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you,Lynn for your sweet comment. I don't know about being special, but I certainly have had some life experience. As, I know you have as well. Blessings to you, Lynn.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My jaw dropped when I read this post-the Lord is certainly up to something big these days. We have been on this same adventure since the first of this year. Yes, I laid everything down at His feet, holding nothing back and He has supplied every need. It has been tough at times, but when fear and doubt cloud my heart-I look again to my Savior and His peace rules in my heart. We sometimes forget we are not our own, we belong to the Lord and He leads us in His paths, bringing Glory to His name.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is amazing how He intertwins so many different things in order to get His messages to us. Are you in the process of a big move? Yes, indeed, trust and faith is where our salvation and strength lie. Blessings to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, how I relate to this post. I felt the same way when I left New England for Arizona. Little did I know that my change of plans was a "course correction" that led to finding the Lord...and later, meeting my husband! Now I'm in Texas, ready for the next adventure!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Judith,that would indeed be a tremendous life change, and as usual, His plan is the best and if we can only learn to trust Him in all situations, our life would be far less stressful.

    ReplyDelete

Any thoughts you would like to share? I love hearing from you!