March 01, 2011

A Companion to Grow Old With - Part Three

My sister-in-law flew out from Minnesota to assist with Shannon’s personal things. After a day of emotional ups and downs we flopped, exhausted into chairs.

“Well, Dearie, I’ve had enough melancholy for one day. There are several Noir films I have been longing to watch without interruptions from my Cherubs. Shall we?”

After a quick run for supplies at the nearest market and video store, we settled in with our refreshments and movies. Our first movie was, Double Indemnity, an old black-and-white from the 1930s. Half way through the film one character turned to another and asked another if he had ever been to my hometown. It was a small community, isolated in the southeastern part of the state. In the 1930s it would barely have been a speck on the map.

In the next, Designing Woman, circa 1960, one of the main character’s last name was Shannon. Neither of us was giggling.

“What’s up with all of these odd coincidences?” Shari asked.

“I don’t know, and I’m sure not I find it amusing.”

By the time we put in the third movie, The Thirteenth Warrior, I was mentally reviewing all the previous coincidences: Luke 1: 37, Psalm 37, the book of Tobias, the dreams and my earlier conversation with Becky. Was God really promising me a companion? Or were all of the coincidences just that, coincidences? And the dreams, were they simply my subconscious working through my grief?
My attention was jerked back to the movie. One of the characters was named Melchisedec. I had never heard the name mentioned outside of church. Jesus is referred to as a priest in the order of Melchisedec, the first priest to offer bread and wine as a sacrifice in place of animals. It seemed very odd that it was selected as a name in a secular movie. But, there was more. The next scene took place in a tavern. The main character was asked to tell a great story.

He began, “In the beginning God created the world….” Genesis – again.

I asked Shari to turn off the TV. That was enough coincidences for one night.

The next morning Genesis 2:18-25 was listed among my readings:

And the Lord God said: It is not good for man to be alone: let us make him a helpmate like unto himself.

Coincidence? I didn’t think so. Not this time.

***

Several days after Shari left, a good friend, “Peg”, asked me over for coffee. After a few minutes of small talk, I described the coincidences, the dreams, the scriptures and the interpretation Becky had offered.

“Marie, you are describing Bill. He is a sergeant with the Sheriff’s office and so, in a sense, a warrior. Besides that, he is a former Marine and a hunter. In fact he has been to Africa on Safari. On the outside he is tough, and a little hard to get to know, but once you manage to earn his trust, he is the kindest, sweetest man I have ever known.

“George and I wanted to introduce you after Ron passed away, but when we thought enough time had passed, you were seeing Shannon. Maybe it is time now, what do you think? ”
“Maybe…”

“Oh!” Peg said, “I just thought of something! If you two should marry, you would be his third wife - he has been divorced once – ugly, ugly scene - and lost two to cancer. He has been single and alone now for six years - and, he would be your fourth husband –"

My eyes opened wide. “Seven! Sara’s seven?” To be continued…..

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any thoughts you would like to share? I love hearing from you!