December 03, 2022

Frustrations and Turning the Other Cheek

 

Image by Gerd Altmann from Pixabay 

Since Thanksgiving, I’ve taken the 75-mile round trip to town eleven times.

First, our Cooper had a small wound on top of his head. At first it was tiny, but it kept getting bigger. The little stinker was rubbing and scratching it when we couldn’t see him. Our vet was concerned it might require surgery for it to heal. So, twice a week we drove into the veterinary office. In between there was a dental appointment and grocery shopping.

Next came a series of events that caused even more trouble.

Some months ago, my husband got locked out of his Google Chrome account (email included) and I had to create a new one. Finally, I figured out how to restore his original account and delete the other one. Seemed simple.

The next challenge, my husband ordered a smartphone from the manufacturer, not our service provider. To set the phone up and activate it, we needed a provider sim card. I made an appointment with our local authorized dealer, and we made another trip to town.

The young man took the sim card from my husband’s old flip phone and put it into the new phone. He fiddled with his iPad and announced it was ready to go. After we returned home, I turned on the new phone. The sim card wasn’t working. An online service agent apologized for the inconvenience, but the new phone needed a new sim card before the phone could be activated. The new card will take two days to arrive.

While I was online with the service agent, my husband logged into our bank to pay bills online. The bank requested a verification number, sent to his non-working phone. Our only recourse was to put the sim card back in his old phone. To do this, the battery had to be removed, followed by several other steps. It took me several minutes of fiddling around before I figured it out.

I was sure I had it right, but the phone wouldn’t turn on. After rechecking everything, I tried again with the same result. Panicking, I gave the phone to my husband and asked him to turn it on. I wanted a stiff drink when I realized I had been pushing the wrong button. I settled for some calming music, a glass of water, and a book.

The next issue, the irresponsible young man at the cell phone store. Did I turn the other cheek, or hold him accountable? My morning devotions offered this. “Set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity.” Timothy 4:12.

After some prayer, I’ve decided to lodge a complaint with the store’s manager. We should hold the young man accountable for his poor service, but no angry words. In fact, I’ll let my husband handle it. After all his years in law enforcement, he is better with this type of conversation than I am.  

A bit of good news, at the last appointment, our vet determined surgery won’t be necessary to heal Cooper’s wound. My husband’s new phone will be easy to activate with the right sim card. Regardless, I do not plan on doing anything that requires electronics or much thought, for the next day or so. My brain is past overload. Reading and a nap are about all I can handle.  

Dear Lord, thank you for reminding me that my actions, my character, are more important than being right and yet encourage met to stand up against wrongful actions. Amen.

6 comments:

  1. Whew, you did have an active week! The hubster and I had our wedding anniversary during that time. We both got sick, and we celebrated by having hot chicken soup by candlelight.:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow! Chicken soup by candlelight. Still sounds romantic. I hope you had a wonderful holiday, and the sick part came after. Our Thanksgiving holiday was good until the day after.

      Happy Anniversary! I pray you have many more!

      Delete
  2. I hate days/weeks like that when everything goes wrong and then starts piling up, it is a real testing time. You have had a really frustrating week, I feel for you, you must have done something to upset Satan, a friend of mine refers to him as Smutty Face.

    I have been losing it lately with this laptop, it is a very old one, passed on to me by a friend when my own crashed. It has been driving me mad, keeps throwing me off the internet, or changes pages on me, or suddenly changes text size up or down, and sometimes wipes out everything I type. grrr.

    I hope Cooper recovers completely and has no more mishaps. A 75-mile round trip into town every day would get me down too, we make a 120 mile round trip once a month to our nearest US Military Base, and even though we are not having to drive ourselves anymore, it is still exhausting, all on winding country roads. Our friend Vernon Roosevelt drives from Harrogate which is 7 miles from the Base to pick us up and then takes us to the Base, we do our shopping, we stop for lunch in Ripon on the way home, then Vernon has to drive back home again, so for him it is a 240-mile day. He is a real Blessing, and he has been doing this every month for well over a year now.

    I pray the rest of the year and the run-up to Christmas goes smoothly for you, with no further aggravation. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Smutty face. I love that! Tech challenges sure test our patience! Your trip to the Base sounds tiring, but the lunch part sounds fun! You are indeed blessed to have a good friend Like Vernon. He's earning heavenly points for sure! Thank you for the prayers. Surely, we've exhausted our bad luck for now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Animals and electronics are very stressful at times for sure! So glad we have a Father we can turn to for comfort .

    ReplyDelete

Any thoughts you would like to share? I love hearing from you!