September 30, 2021

Limitless Kindness

Image by Hucklebarry from Pixabay 

It seems some lessons need to be learned over and over. Since my husband’s battle with Covid last year, I’ve taken over more and more of the chores. His stamina is better, but still not back to the pre-virus level. Most days, I do fine. Others, when I am feeling tired and overwhelmed, I tend to be a little crabby. I don’t always voice my grumpiness, but I am sure my body language does.

I’ve been trying to change my attitude and ask my husband to help more, but that flaw most women carry often gets the better of me. You know the one. We think others should know what needs to be done and should offer to help without being asked. Not that my husband doesn’t volunteer now and then, it’s the now and then I get irritated with, especially when I’m cleaning off the counter for the hundredth time and find more dishes in the sink after I emptied the dishwasher.

Overall, they are small annoyances, but they build and fester.

Well, God told me what he thought of my attitude.

Good Morning, Lord by Joseph T. Sullivan: “God has done so much for me, how can I express my thanks? By living a good life, honoring God in all that I do. Let me be a part of your love, Lord, in limitless kindness to those around me. Let me seek better ways to be thoughtful and kind.”

Those words reminded me of a story I once read about oil, which I have shared here before. In Streams in the Desert, L.B. Coleman tells a story about an eccentric old man who carried an oil can with him wherever he went. He lubricated every squeaky gate and door he encountered. When asked why he did this, he replied, “To make the way easier for those who come after me.”

Isn’t that really what following our faith is about, aside from sharing the Good News?

Jesus called his disciples (and us) to be servants, not masters, to give with a joyful heart. My kindness should have no limits, this includes how many times I clean the counters or dishes from the sink. If I’m not so intent on grumbling over my chores, I am more open to seeing the kindnesses others do for me, including my husband. He may not do the dishes as often as I wish, but he carries out the garbage when it’s full without my saying a word. He takes Cooper out more than I do. He mows lawn, washes windows, does his own laundry, keeps the truck running, sprays for insects, wrangles the bee traps, and the list goes on, tons of things I don’t have to do.

He gives me hugs and kisses, tells me I am beautiful, thanks me for everything I do for him, and most of all, tells me he loves me. Every. Day.

Thank you, Lord, for pointing out the beam in my eye and showing me how to ignore the splinter in my husband’s. I am sure we will have this conversation many more times, and in anticipation, thank you for your forgiveness in advance. Amen.

 

 

 

2 comments:

  1. I think a lot of women can relate to this chore grumpiness sort of situation. Thank you for sharing your wisdom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure it is universal as we have been traditionally the ones to take care of the home, even if we also work outside the home. After this reminder, I felt free of my discontent and I even asked my husband to help with the dusting today. :D

    ReplyDelete

Any thoughts you would like to share? I love hearing from you!