September 05, 2019

Vanity or a Call to Service?


Photo by charlotte 202003 at Pixabay
I read a beautiful story about a family called to feed and care for the local homeless. It pricked my conscious. Should I set aside my desires to write and paint and instead do more volunteer work? At my age, I don’t have the physical stamina to do both. Perhaps my writing and painting are vain things best put aside for the benefit of others.


Then, why would God give me the desire and the talent to pursue those activities if they had no value, did not provide any blessings?


I spent several days praying to know His will, vowing to follow wherever He sent me.


Today, in my devotional, Good Morning, Lord Joseph T. Sullivan wrote: “… Lord, inspire those who create beauty for us: the sculptor, the writer, the composer, the architect, the painter, the virtuoso… They can show us what you are like and render great service to us all.”

I had not considered my talents as a service.

Although I am not called to run a homeless shelter or a soup kitchen, I am still required to be generous for the poor, the homeless, and others in need where and when I can.

Freed from guilt, I can joyously use my talents to help others see the beauty in our world, pointing out rainbows where some only see mud.


Lord, inspire me to use the talents you have given me wisely and generously. Amen.

3 comments:

  1. I honestly do believe writers can make life more beautiful for readers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and something we need to remind ourselves when we get discouraged and want to quit.

      Delete
  2. Floating bathroom cabinet I think this is an informative post and it is very useful and knowledgeable. therefore, I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article.

    ReplyDelete

Any thoughts you would like to share? I love hearing from you!