January 03, 2019

Setting Myself Up for a Fall - Literally

When we make poor choices, we complicate life more than necessary, and I received a painful reminder this week.

My unfortunate sequence of events started with my failure to properly set my new alarm on the eve of my jury summons. Waking later than I planned, I grabbed only a piece of toast and some coffee for breakfast. I attributed the headache and shakiness to the emotions aroused during the witness testimonies. However, the dizziness should have been a big warning I was in trouble, but being a stubborn old sole and a little intimidated by my formal surroundings, I decided I’d be fine until we were dismissed for lunch. I was wrong.

It is an eerie feeling to collapse, hearing everything being said around you but unable to react.

The bailiff knelt beside me, gently shook my shoulder, and called my name. When I did not respond, he ordered someone to call 911. He continued his efforts to rouse me. Had he not done that, I would have lost consciousness. Through his persistence, I managed to sit up. One of the court staff brought me an orange and a snack pack with cheese, cashews, and craisins. By the time the ambulance arrived I was alert and did not require transportation to the hospital.

This was the first low blood sugar event since my retirement and I now realize it is definitely stress related.

My word of advice, pay close attention to your health issues no matter how minor they seem. Talk to your doctor and for heaven’s sake take a few extra minutes if you need to, regardless of how rushed you feel. Don’t set yourself up for a fall like I did. You can bet I will not be so foolish in the future.

Happy New Year! May it be filled with blessings and good health.

2 comments:

  1. Well THAT doesn't sound fun! Glad you are okay now. It was pretty nice of the court staffer to bring you an orange and a snack pack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't my idea of a good time, but the professionalism and kindness of the court staff and my fellow jurors helped a lot. One of my New Year resolutions is to be more prepared in the future. Hope your New Year started well and keeps going that way.

      Delete

Any thoughts you would like to share? I love hearing from you!