December 03, 2018

Seeking Good Things

‘Tis the season of peace and joy. We sing about it in our carols, wish it to everyone we meet, and send cards expressing the sentiment. We talk about having the season’s generosity all year, but we are like the parable of the seed that fell among the brambles. Hectic schedules lead us more toward irritability rather than charity and patience.

I mentioned in a prior post I planned to recite the Prayer of St. Francis every morning. Evidently, God has the same plan. The ushers handed out flyers with the prayer after church on Sunday.

The prayer, which I now have memorized, helps put things into perspective. When I want to rage at the world for all its injustices, lash out against insults with the perfect rebuttal, or put down those with a different opinion, I recite the prayer and my focus changes.

My devotions this morning suggested an additional practice. “For the sake of my brethren and of my neighbors, I spoke peace of thee. Because of the house of the Lord our God, I have sought good things for thee.” Psalm 122:8-9

If I seek good things for others it’s difficult to stay angry or nurse hurts. Through St. Francis’ words and the desire for good things for everyone, carrying Christmas joy and peace all year gets a whole lot easier. And, who benefits the most? Myself.

Wishing you good things, including peace and joy, this season and all year.

2 comments:

  1. Lovely thoughts as always, Cecilia, and a really cool image for the post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Priscilla. It obviously struck me that way too. :D

      Delete

Any thoughts you would like to share? I love hearing from you!