August 08, 2018

Life Without a To Do List

I used to be a serious planner, making not only daily To Do Lists but also contingency plans for every possibility. I spent more time planning than any other activity. They were my last thoughts at night, fine tuning and revising, repeating with paper and pencil in the morning. On busy days I told people I’d gone from Plan A, past Plan G, and beyond.

Some planning is necessary, but not to the depth I had taken it. It was an attempt at control, an illusion that If I planned it, I could control the outcome. My plans had become idols. I thought more of them than anything else, even prayer.



Then came my wake up call — cancer.

My world shattered, leaving no room for planning, only prayer.

Now that I am in the last stage of my reconstruction and recovery, I am tackling more tasks, but I am not making any lists. Instead, I note what needs to be done at that moment and then do it, leaving tomorrow’s responsibilities unplanned. For time sensitive duties and appointments, I set reminders and forget about them.

Life is less complicated and stressful. Imagine that.

Dear Lord, may I continue to leave my life in your hands, day by day, minute by minute. No detail is too small to warrant your concern. Amen.








2 comments:

  1. Another insightful post, thanks. I'm trying this year to be more chill in my planning. Letting go is easier when I'm kinder to myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Priscilla, that is exactly what it is, being kinder to ourselves. After all, we are worthy of kindness!

      Delete

Any thoughts you would like to share? I love hearing from you!