January 01, 2016

It's That Time of Year Again

This is sunrise from my office window, dawning a new day, a new month, and a new year. Was it a good year? Did I do what I had hoped, what I had planned?

I have to say it was a good year in terms of memorable events. Two more grand babies were born, one in June and one in September. Then in August the biggest life change, retirement.


When I add in a post Christmas birthday, I feel more nostalgia for things past that at any other time of the year.

I miss every home I've lived in even though I love the new one and am happy I moved on. I miss old friends, but enjoy new friendships too. I love to travel, and yet feel a pang at leaving home and my normal routine for something different. Then, when I come home, I miss being on the road seeing new things. I look forward to a new year, while at the same time I miss the old one.

If I judge the new year by the old one, it's gonna be a pretty darn good year. So, why be nostalgic over the old one?

Because it's human to cling to the known rather than jump toward the unknown.

God tells us not to worry or fret over tomorrow. He's already there.

"Remember not former things, and look not on things of old. Behold I do new things, and now they shall spring forth, verily you shall know them: I will make a way in the wilderness, and rivers in the desert." Isaiah 43: 18-19. Taken from the Douay-Rheims Version of the Bible. 


4 comments:

  1. Exactly how I feel right about now. It is bittersweet! Ready to start anew yet ... already missing what I've left behind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I didn't think I was the only one who felt that way this time of year. But, here's to all good things in 2016, and keeping the memories of the good things from 2015 and years past in our hearts. God Bless.

      Delete
  2. This year is going to be a great one for you. Full year as a retiree! What adventures await?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! But, already it seems time just gets away from me, and I wonder how I had the time to work!

      Of course writing is on the agenda, along with long trips in the travel trailer and quality time with my family. Let the fun begin!

      Delete

Any thoughts you would like to share? I love hearing from you!